GO!

My Cat Can't Pee.....

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

(Page 1 of 9: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  
Mercy

Purred: Fri Jun 29, '12 5:52pm PST 
My 7 year old male cat was taken to the vet on Sunday morning - he was in pain and moaning. I knew exactly what the issue was - yes, a urinary obstruction. They were able to unblock him, and by Weds, we went to pick him up but were told he still wasn't urinating and he reblocked. They unblocked him again - and just took the catheter out this morning. The vet said that he isn't blocked - he is able to express urine when applying pressure to the bladder, but he isn't urinating on his own. They have him on anti-inflammatory drugs, pain killers, antibiotics and some medication that is suppose to encourage urination - but he won't go on his own. The vet said that he isn't eating on his own, but will eat when they put food in his mouth. He is sitting in his cage facing the wall and is clearly depressed. Tomorrow morning they are going to use a needle to extract urine from his bladder - but that could be fatal. What is going on? Has anyone had such a situation with a blocked male cat? The vet thinks he's stressed, and maybe he'll start to feel better in a familiar environment at home, but they want to keep an eye on him for the rest of the day. Also, he may just be nervous or his bladder may be sore so he doesn't want to urinate. We are so worried and want him home, but what could the issue be? Also, yesterday he had a mild fever, but today after new antibiotics, he doesn't. We believe he is in good hands - although the original vet who was taking care of him has rotated out and now it's another vet - whom I like but can't seem to get much info out of.

So, my reason for this post is to just get some answers from folks who have experienced this. He has been at the vet for 5 days now. The ultrasound he had after his first blockage didn't reveal any other blockages. Why did he reblock? Why won't he go to the bathroom on his own? Will he ever? Is this the end?
[notify]

Bumpurr

RESPECT The- Star!

Purred: Fri Jun 29, '12 6:25pm PST 
Ya, I went thru it, 5 yrs ago. I know what a horrible experience it was, so some of this is from memory, but Prowler was 2 yrs old, and now he is 7 yrs old, and doing very very well.

Just for future reference, and for those that may not know this, you have 12 hrs, if they are blocked, or its too late, to get them to a vet.

It was late on a Sat night, one of my show friends was over, Prowler was acting funny, my friend started watching him, then she said, he is blocked, we have to get him to a vet, right now, in he went.

I forget now, if they inserted a needle into his bladder, or they used a catherter, I kinda think it was the catherter. They also put him on antibiotics, forget now, which one, and they did a urinalasis, which you didn't mention, if they did, or did not. They have to do that, it tells them what bacteria or crystal types, per say, are in the urine, and causing the blockage, it also tells them, what antibiotics will work.

He stayed over night and they sent him home. They put him on Hills Science Diet SD to disolve the crystals, then Hills Science Diet CD to manage the crystals. His crystals came back. I said somethng is not right with this picture, and I did extensive research on it.

If ya ever had a catherter in, ya know how very uncomfortable it is, I have, and it also hurts to pee afterwards.

His bladder walls are prob also inflammed, which hurts him more, and his urine is prob too concentrated, which furthers the prob, and a urinealsis would tell that too. If the urine is too concentrated, it burns the bladder walls.

That his fever went away, is good, means the antibiotics are working, and he should start to feel better.

You need to insist, to talk to this vet, and find out, what is going on, remember, they ain't doing this for free, you are paying for their services, just as you would insist, your doctor tell you.

Once you get him home, you now have a crystal kitty, and it is imperative, you correct, the cause of it, and he now has to have special managed care.

Causes of crystals are many, feeding a grain food is a biggie, the biggest, what do you feed?

The other biggie is stress in the household, what is going on in your household?

Other causes are a dirty kitty box, not picked every day, change of litter, not bedded deep enough, too small a box, a covered box, not enough boxes, being picked on by another pet or human, being intimitated by another pet or human, kitty box in a high traffic area, giving water from the tap.

You now have to feed him a grain free food, I feed Blue Wilderness, you also have to feed him wet only, mixed with water, so its real soupy, keeping him flushed out, is beyond imperative, its the key. No more water from the tap, it has too many minerals in it, he has to have purified drinking water, not spring water, not distelled water, but purified drinking water. I use the store brand gal jug, its $1.00 or some use Brita, some use PURR.

If, there was stress in the household, you have to eliminate it.

Prowler has been fine for 5 yrs, he gets wet only, mixed with water, and he only gets purified drinking water. I was feeding a grain food, I eliminated that, and I got out of the mentally and physically abusive relationship I was in, that was the stress.

The only time he had an issue, and it was my fault, I gave him wet in the morn and dry at night, trying to save money, now being on my own, is very financially difficult. In he went. My vet said his urine is too concentrated, they took some urine from his bladder, by a needle, and tested it, hence, the urininalsysis, which I can't spell, and it is burning his bladder walls, what did you change, I told her. She said, he *has* to have his wet twice a day, mixed with water, to keep him flushed out. Have not had a prob since.

The antibiotics will help him feel better, so he will start eating. See if he will eat some wet food, or you could try Nutrical, or they have this brown soup looking stuff, that you feed him with a syringe.

Hope this helps, and please keep us updated, I know, how awful an experience it was.

((((((((((((((BIG HUGS)))))))))))))
[notify]

Mercy

Purred: Sat Jun 30, '12 5:45am PST 
Thanks so much for your reply!

Yes, they did a urinalysis and it was clear.

They have him on pain killers (not sure which one).

Stress, no - he has a very loving home. Food - yes. Iams dry all the way - with the occasional wet food as a snack (he's overweight, too - which I'm sure contributed). That will be changed now - especially because we have 2 other feline companions in the house. Because the litterboxes are in an area of the house that we (humans) don't frequent - they definitely don't get the attention they should - which I'm sure contributed. But now I have fresh, clean, new litterboxes and a new litter, and they are in a new area of the house that can't be ignored, I plan to be more on top of that and so far I have been cleaning them 2x a day. They always get fresh water from the Brita pitcher.

We have to call today very soon for an update. In my heart I feel like this may be the end for him. He's been there 5 days, reblocked once and now won't "go". I know he's probably in pain, but he is on pain killers - but maybe it's not enough to keep the bladder pain at bay so he can go. Maybe he's scared to go? Maybe he's stressed. I'm not sure what the needle in the bladder to extract the urine will do to make this better when they can express urine by pressing on his bladder - but they know better than I. I worry that he won't eat on his own - but that could be several factors. He could maybe not like the food they are putting out, and if he's in pain - we all know that eating is not a priority. I also think he's depressed.

Will update soon. Please keep your fingers, toes and paws crossed for my buddy.
[notify]

Macy

Super- freakey----MEOW!

Purred: Sat Jun 30, '12 9:53am PST 
Sorry I tried to post last night but my laptop died. First of all I would get him off the Iams and start with the Rx diet to get him straightened out. Then if you want to experiment with no grain or raw feeding you can.

They are probably doing the needle extraction because they can get a cleaner catch that way, sometimes expressing or clean catch can contaminate the sample.

Macy blocked twice in one day and was in for almost a week before they did surgery on him.

How long was he blocked for? I can't remember the technical term for it but if a cat has been blocked for a long time their bladders can stretch to the point where they loose all of the muscle to it. It can reverse it's self if it was caught in time, but it does take time for the bladder to heal. Is he not peeing at all or just little spurts?

Edited by author Sat Jun 30, '12 9:56am PST

[notify]

Mercy

Purred: Sat Jun 30, '12 12:24pm PST 
Update: The vet said that he finally urinated on his own today - however, not enough to completely empty his bladder, so they are keeping him for yet another night (this is night 7). They are going to put the catheter back in, but I'm not sure this is the best idea since that is most likely contributing to his bladder pain. On the bright side, he did eat today on his own! happy dance
[notify]

Mercy

Purred: Sat Jun 30, '12 1:27pm PST 
Also, Macy - thanks for your responses. They have been helpful. We certainly plan to put him on whatever diet the vet recommends, as well as my others.
[notify]

Macy

Super- freakey----MEOW!

Purred: Sat Jun 30, '12 1:40pm PST 
Glad to hear he is doing better! Believe me when I say I understand what you are going through, I had a whole year of bladder issues and it drove me crazy. Patience and baby steps when recovering from bladder issues is the key to stay sane. wink
[notify]

Mercy

Purred: Sat Jun 30, '12 3:32pm PST 
(also thank you Bampurr)

Yes, I know it's going to be a bunch of stress when he gets home. But I also think when he gets home, he'll feel better and less stressed. I just hope I can keep good tabs on him and make sure that he's ok. I think I'll know when he's not but I anticipate that the first few weeks are going to keep me on my toes. I just can't wait to have him home. I just hope that it's soon. I think it's great that they want to keep him there and monitor him and I feel like he is in good hands, but sometimes I feel a little apprehensive about the care they get. I guess it's just the 'mom' in me.
[notify]

Macy

Super- freakey----MEOW!

Purred: Sat Jun 30, '12 3:53pm PST 
Lets see it's been 2 years since my ordeal with Macy and I still get nervous when he isn't acting right and constantly checking the litter box for big size pees. Just remember when he comes home he is still going to make frequent jaunts to the litter box, and doing allot of licking, Just make sure that when he goes to the box that there is at least a small amount coming out, that means he isn't blocked, and as the days and weeks go by they will get bigger and bigger. just make sure he gets tons of water, that will keep him hydrated and his bladder healthy. cheer
[notify]

Baron

Purred: Sat Jun 30, '12 6:39pm PST 
Hi! My poor baby goo had "pee problems" as we call it in my house. Goo was about a year or a year and a half when we figured out that he had a pee problem. He ended up peeing all over a large comforter and it smelled horrible and was a significant amount of pee. Typically, when kitties are doing something "bad" we would clap hands or yell, but it wasn't like Goo or any healthy cat really, to just pee anywhere. So I let him finish his thing and then pet him afterwards to let him know that it was okay!

I called the vet and she got him in right away. They did an examination and based on the report I gave, the vet determined that he had a block that he was able to unblock on his own. They prescribed some science diet food for him which we fed him. He ended up gaining a significant amount of weight (went from 12 lbs to 18lbs) within a few months of being on it. He never did have a pee problem after that but we decided to switch from a dry diet to an all wet diet.

We figured being on the cheapest wet food was better than any dry, plus with the increase in fluids we were hoping to prevent more pee blockages. He is I think about 3 yrs now and we haven't had an issue with him peeing anywhere other than the litter box as far as we know. We did notice some pee in random areas of the basement but weren't able to figure out if it was from him or another kitty since we have four. We added an extra litter box and the problem went away. And after switching to all wet, Goo dropped his weight and is back down to a healthy 13 lbs! Good luck!
[notify]

(Page 1 of 9: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9