GO!

Hairballs

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Sun Jun 24, '12 6:15pm PST 
What does a hairball sound like when a cat horks it up? Does it sound like vomiting? Or something else? Human's Leroy coughs and lip smacks and makes other strange noises but nothing ever comes out of his mouth shrug Sometimes it looks like something comes up but Leroy just swallows it back down shrug The vet has examined him several times and has done various tests but there is nothing wrong shrug Leroy did hork up a hairball recently (Human wasn't home but knew it was Leroy because he wouldn't eat dinner). Human started giving him hairball gel every few days but so far the gel isn't doing too much shrug
[notify]

Maizy

I may meow to- you if you're- worthy

Purred: Mon Jun 25, '12 7:21am PST 
Maizy will do the lip-smack thing, and start gulping air, then she kinda sounds like she is ready to vomit when she has one, followed by this kyack kind of sound. Maybe Leroy wasn't able to get it up. I have never tried any of the hairball treatments with Maizy, but maybe try some plain pumpkin if he will eat it, the extra fiber may help it pass too. She gets one every month or so even though she is brushed daily. I know the hairball food basically has psyllium husk to bulk the fiber & help them come out. So that is why I thought the pumpkin might work.
[notify]

Mortimer

Momma loves my- beautiful eyes

Purred: Sun Jul 1, '12 9:06pm PST 
I always vomit hairballs. It sounds like normal vomiting. Most feline vomiting is due to hairballs. Hairball or indoor formula food works very well to help. I won't eat the gel.
[notify]