GO!

home remedies for cat acne?

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Zelda

You're boring me

Purred: Fri May 18, '12 9:17am PST 
My Zelda has cat acne on her chin, constantly itching and driving her crazy. I use glass & melamine dishes. Zelda eats out of the melamine the most and I wash them often. She had this problem when she came into my household, she was a feral cat. I don't want to put a chemical on my kitty...so i'm wondering if anyone has any natural remedies for this annoying cat acne..
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Fri May 18, '12 6:21pm PST 
You can wash the chin with witch hazel. The pharmacy will have this with the fist aid stuff and rubbing alcohol. The witch hazel will help dry out the acne. Some people rub a little OTC Human acne topical ointment on the chin to help the acne go away.

If the acne is bad, then you really should take the cat to the vet. The vet can prescribe medicine.
[notify]

Ramsey

Ramsey - The Bedroom Cat- Burglar

Purred: Fri May 18, '12 6:41pm PST 
Hey Zelda, my sister Swiffer had acne once. It was not a bad case. My daddy, on advice from the vet, cleaned her chin with some of those kitty wipes and then cleaned it off with witch hazel. Worked like a charm. No one knows how she got it because we all eat out of stainless steel which is kept real clean by daddy. Our water fountains are stainless too. She has not had it since. If it gets worse or is severe, it might be worth a visit to the vet.
[notify]

Zelda

You're boring me

Purred: Fri May 18, '12 11:25pm PST 
Thanks a lot. Ill pick up some kitty wipes & witch hazel
asap.
Ill post back the results.

Thanks againsnoopy

Edited by author Fri May 18, '12 11:25pm PST

[notify]

Ramsey

Ramsey - The Bedroom Cat- Burglar

Purred: Sat May 19, '12 6:10pm PST 
Finding the outcome of your acne would be great. Will look forward to hearing about the final results way to go
[notify]

Miss Puff

carma works,- wish I never- chaced Meow

Purred: Fri May 25, '12 1:28am PST 
Just to be safe, I would recommend not using the melamine dish. It could be the source of your problem. eek as when melamine starts to break down and releases a gas, it may cause upper respiratory problems in some cats. It is also imposable to make sure all of the bacteria is removed from the surface. I have had the same problem before and witch hazel or hydrogen peroxide works very well, along with a warm wet washcloth or a gauze pad. Here is a link Meowma found -
http://cats.about.com/od/catfoodrecallfaqs/f/MelamineDishes.htm
Best of luck and please keep us all up to date as to how things are going.
[notify]

Arthur (Miss- You!- '93-'09)

Bucket of Fuzz

Purred: Fri May 25, '12 9:29pm PST 
Arthur once had pretty bad feline acne. We tried prescription and OTC remedies to no avail. His acne disappeared on its own as soon as we switched from plastic dishes to glass. I would definitely recommend trying that first! way to go