GO!

Cat ringworm--Is it gone?

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Purred: Tue Sep 13, '11 9:28am PST 
I adopted two cats and they both had ringworm. Long story short, I treated them for weeks (miconozole spray)and then the vet took over. He kept them for a month. The one I'm still concerned about had 7 lime sulfur dips total, twice daily sprayed with miconozole, and careful monitoring by the vet.

I brought them home after the month at the vet and ALL of his hair has grown back but there some brown flakes under his chin. Does anyone know if this is normal after so much treatment or if I should be worried? I know to call the vet and ask but he swears they are okay. I'm paranoid now after all of this because he had it BAD. I have several other animals at risk if he still has this mess so I would like some feedback from people who have been in similar situations.
[notify]

Sylvia (A- Tribute)

We miss you

Purred: Tue Sep 13, '11 9:37am PST 
My vet says she considered ringworm cleared when the cat has had two negative cultures.

The spots on the chin could be feline acne, but I'd ask your vet to take a look.
[notify]

Leo

purrrr

Purred: Tue Sep 13, '11 10:18am PST 
My mom had a terrible struggle with ringworm with me. I must have been highly contagious because 3 of the 4 humans in the house got it (even with careful handwashing and me living in the laundry room) and the humans and I all had to go on prescription oral and topical meds to get rid of it. Needless to say, mom did a lot of reading. I had what looked like chin acne briefly with the ringworm and one article mom read said that ringworm (which really can take on several different appearances in cats) can look like feline acne. Of course, I had other more typical lesions so my mom knew to treat me as contagious. The previous poster is correct. The only way to officially proclaim a cat cured is with two negative fungal cultures taken a week apart each. We never went through that step, but are crossing our fingers it is gone because there are no visible signs.
[notify]

Purred: Tue Sep 13, '11 9:17pm PST 
I talked to the vet today and explained the symptoms, and he basically said that it is highly unlikely that there is anything still alive on his skin after all of the treatments he received and whatever it is isn't contagious. He said sometimes a plastic food bowl can cause irritation around their chin. It is on one side of his head as well but considering he has been dipped and sprayed so much I'm hoping it is just dead skin or irritation from the plastic bowl.
[notify]

Lucy Nooner

Chatterbox

Purred: Tue Sep 13, '11 11:23pm PST 
As with Sylvia and Leo, Lucy's veterinary dermatologist considers ringworm gone with 2 negative fungal cultures at least 1 month apart. I don't know anything about the spray your vet used but if the ringworm was so bad, I wonder why the vet didn't use an oral anti-fungal (my dermatologist and regular vet use Itraconazole). And as Leo said, ringworm can look different on different cats and feline acne CAN be a sign of ringworm. Definitely get rid of the plastic bowls regardless.

Did your vet do an actual ringworm culture? Those take 10-14 days for the results. I would be very concerned about a vet who is not using fungal cultures to determine if a skin issue (like acne) is or is not ringworm, especially in a cat who was just treated for ringworm.

Also, and I'm sure you know this, ringworm fungal spores can live in the environment for up to 2 years. To successfully get rid of ringworm, it takes some serious cleaning (daily) for months. It can be gotten rid of, just takes serious dedication to cleaning!

In addition, my other animals were all cultured twice to make sure they didn't have it because you want all animals in the house to be treated at the same time. My dog's cultures were negative but my other cat, even without any outward symptoms, was positive and was also treated with oral medication.

Ringworm is a pain! Hang in there, you can get rid of it! And if your vet hasn't done a fungal culture (which is the only true way to identify ringworm), I would look for a new vet.
[notify]