GO!

PU surgery

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Tigger

Knead softly &- carry a big purr

Purred: Tue May 10, '11 9:05am PST 
I know I have another post, but since things can get a little lost in the shuffle has anycat had this surgery? risks? rewards? would ya do it again? They are suggesting it may help Tigger, but I am not agreeing to anything until I know more about it. The emergency vet also mentioned this surgery. It would run about a thousand gulp, but I can figure that out someway,somehow. I have already spent more than that with this whole crystal issue. I just hate to put him throught this if it is not a good idea.
[notify]

Gumpy Sweet- Boy

Love wrapped in- fur

Purred: Tue May 10, '11 12:58pm PST 
I'm sorry Tigger's been having these urinary issues. I did follow your other thread. I think the PU surgery is something that is done if the cat is repeatedly blocking over and over even with prescription diets and other meds having been tried. It sounds like an extreme surgery to me (I think it essentially castrates the male cat). I would really try to use food and possibly some other meds if continues to have problems.

Here's a quote from Dr. Lisa Pierson:

"A procedure called a perineal urethrostomy (PU) is often performed on blocked cats with the hope of preventing future obstructions.

A PU removes the penis and part of the urethra and leaves the patient very prone to urinary tract infections for the rest of his life. Also, the surgery site can stricture at a later time.

I strongly believe that this procedure is performed far too early in many cases before a properly hydrated diet is tried. Please give this procedure a lot of thought before consenting to it."

Edited by author Tue May 10, '11 12:59pm PST

[notify]

Tigger

Purred: Tue May 10, '11 1:34pm PST 
thanks Gump - I have been doing some research since I posted, and I think that while it may be a solution at some point, it is too early to put Tig through that. I want to try the other diet to see if that eases things up. I personally think it is a too quick jump. I guess I just need to hear that he can be ok, and this can be managed like his heart condition.
[notify]

Kaci- Sunshine - Beloved- Angel

Sugar 'n Spice

Purred: Tue May 10, '11 1:47pm PST 
Tigger, that sounds very serious and I'm so very sorry! Your vets must consider it an emergency situation or they probably wouldn't recommend the surgery. I looked up PU and found a few informative articles about Urethral Obstruction and PU surgery for you to read and hope they help you make an informed decision:

from the AAHA website Healthy Pet:
Urethral Obstruction

excerpt: What does the surgery entail?

The surgical procedure is called a perineal urethrostomy. Your veterinarian will remove much of the penis and the narrow portion of the urethra and leave a wider opening for the remaining portion under the anus. Your cat may be hospitalized for several days, and often a catheter will be left in place overnight or longer. Afterward, Kitty may be treated with antibiotics, urinary antiseptics, and urinary acidifiers. Post-operative care at home will require you to carefully observe Kitty and his potty habits.

Perineal urethrostomy will permanently cure urethral obstruction in 90 percent of male cats. The surgery does not affect the formation of crystals (which result in the plug to begin with), but provides a wider passageway for their release outside the body. Thus, blockages should not recur, but bladder infections might.

from Veterinary Partners (VIN) website:
Urinary Blockage

excerpt: Before considering this surgery, here are some considerations:

* This surgery is done to prevent obstruction of the urinary tract. It does not prevent feline idiopathic cystitis. This means the cat is likely to continue to experience recurring bloody urine, straining etc. He just will not be able to block and complicate the situation.

* Cats with perineal urethrostomies are predisposed to bladder infections and infection-related bladder stones. The University of Minnesota currently recommends that male cats with perineal urethrostomies have regular periodic urine cultures even if they are asymptomatic. This basically means that your cat should go to the vet to be tested 3 or 4 times a year for urine cultures.

from the American College of Veterinary Surgeons website (contains graphic medical photos):
Urethral Obstruction in Male Cats

excerpts:

Cats that have 3 or more recurrences, that cannot be managed medically, and that do not have any underlying conditions that could cause recurrence may undergo perineal urethrostomy ("PU"), or surgical widening of the urethr

Potential complications of surgery:
After surgery, some cats will develop bleeding or swelling. Stricture (scarring and narrowing) of the urethrostomy site may occur if the cat traumatizes the surgery site or with incomplete dissection or urine leakage under the skin (Figure 8). Bacterial urinary tract infections occur in 25% of cats within the first year after perineal urethrostomy. Perineal urethrostomy does not prevent bladder inflammation or stone formation.

Purring very hard for you Tigger!
hug
[notify]

Buddy Boo

But. .but, it\'s- supposed to be a- Roar!

Purred: Fri May 13, '11 3:36pm PST 
Hi Tigger,

I've bumped this thread because I feel it is imperative to take into consideration what Gump has said and to look at what Tigger is eating, as moisture content in Tigger's diet is so *very crucial*.

I know that this is not the nutrition forum but please look at Alex' www.ibdkitties.net as she has tons of Information on there, and at the info Gump referenced (a feline DVM, catinfo.org.)

Purrs,
Buddy
[notify]

Bumpurr

RESPECT The- Star!

Purred: Fri May 13, '11 3:55pm PST 
Another cause of crystals that is often overlooked, but its right up there, as one of the major causes, is
stress. Are you sure, there is no stress in the household, another family member with issues, another family member that may be picking on Tigger, another pet that may be picking on Tigger? thinking

Prowler was good for like over 3-4 yrs, and we determined, his was from stress, the kittens picking on him, they are not being mean, they just like to play rough, he doesn't want to. So, the kittens went to, no picking on Prowler school, mol, and he now gets only wet, mixed with water, so its real real soupy, like almost a broth, that is the key. How much water are you adding to his food? wave big grin way to go hug
[notify]

Tigger

Purred: Fri May 13, '11 4:36pm PST 
I am definitely holding on this surgery unless there is no alternative to help Tig. It is just too traumatic, and should be saved for if there is no recourse. Tig is no longer getting ANY kibble at all. He always ate Blue BUffalo Wilderness - good food & top notch wet. Now he gets all wet, with prob about 3-4 TBSP water added. He is on baytril, and prednisolone, glucosamine & he will be starting on a cranberry additive too. I also decided completely against that antispasmodic - don't feel comfortable with it. Stress, well without writing a novel, within the past 6-7 months, my aunt passed away (we were all very close) and my Mom who lived with her had to move in here. We get along, but it has been stressful combining 2 homes, 2 ideas. Changing of some schedules. Trying to get rid of her house, My stress is that there is so much crap now in the basement where my office is, I cannot work well, and it is aggrivating. My Mom has fallen twice, & fractured her foot, and like a chucklehead, I have been feeding a feral cat that now sits by the garage waiting for food - which is in TIGGER"S yard. So even though no one picks on him, and he is ADORED, he is prob upset by all this. So I have moved the feral kitties bowl out by the alleyway, and trying very hard to be zenlike...for my Tiggies sake.wink So I am sure it has been a combo of everything. Yesterday he & I sat out in the yard & he dozed in the sunshine, and we just....sat there & watched the birdies. calmed us both I think!
[notify]

Bumpurr

RESPECT The- Star!

Purred: Fri May 13, '11 6:01pm PST 
I could write a book too, mol, of stuff that happened to me, so I can relate. hug hug hug hug

I tend to think, in Tig's case, its the stress, he can pick up on it and he feels your stress, kitties are very very sensative to their surroundings. He knows your upset, and he doesn't understand why. Is it at all possible, to see your doctor, and tell him/her, what your dealing with, and maybe get a chill pill, or whatever the correct terminology is, mol. wave Ya gotta figure out something, for Tig. way to go

You have to add way more water than that, I never measured mine, I just add a little at a time, until its real real soupy, like more soupy, than a thick soup. I will measure it tomorrow, and try to give you a better idea. wave big grin way to go hug (((((((((BIG HUGS)))))))
[notify]

Lola

My opinion is- just that.... - YMMV :)

Purred: Fri May 13, '11 6:15pm PST 
Tigger,
Glad to see you are doing some research on your own. applause Research and/or a second opinion is always a good idea for something so drastic as PU surgery!

It is not uncommon for some vets to not associate what is being fed with the illness.

Not knowing every detail of Tigger's situation compared to our Leonard's....this is our story:
When our Leonard had his first bout, I was feeding all dry. I changed his food to a quality wet and "quality" dry. (I didn't know, at the time, that dry kibble wasn't a species appropriate diet and is the cause of most feline illnesses.)
After the second incident, my vet explained VERY CLEARLY to feed an all wet diet. He didn't recommend the (what I consider) carp food sold in his office either.

All the felines in our household are fed an all wet diet with lots of water added...the "soup" effect...as Bumpurr mentioned.

Leonard has been good for mannnnny years now.

You mentioned possible stress in your home. I've never used it, but have read where some have had success using Feliway for a calming effect. You may want to check it out.

Wishing Tigger THE BEST!

Edited by author Fri May 13, '11 6:20pm PST

[notify]

Macy

Super- freakey----MEOW!

Purred: Fri May 13, '11 10:06pm PST 
Tigger I suggest you join this group since a number of the members have had this surgery done and can give you some guidance on what to do:

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/FLUTD/

They are also great with diets and advice on natural alternatives. They were a great support for me when I was going through the issues with Macy.

Sending purrs your way since I know how frustrating this can be!
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2