GO!

Non-productive "hairball" cough...

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Julian

CFA Regional- Winner 2009-2010

Purred: Fri Jun 4, '10 7:51am PST 
Hi!

It started a few days ago when Julian was trying to throw up a hairball (looked like that to me) and nothing came out. None of my cats ever had any hairballs - maybe because I bathe and blowdry them once or twice a week and they don't groom themselves, maybe because of raw diet, maybe both, I don't know.

Anyway - otherwise Julian looked healthy and his usual self - he was playing, running, eating, drinking, using litterbox etc., so I didn't think it could be something serious.

Yesterday my boyfriend was at my place and told me to take Julian to a vet because he didn't think it was "hairball" but he thought it looked like lung problems or so. Sure I got scared to death and googled and found out it could be asthma, heart problems, lungs problems etc.

I'll try to get him to the vet today but most probably they won't consider it emergency and I may have appointment for only next week... and I'm dying from fear for my cat.

Could somebody tell me what to expect? He has this cough attacks and my boyfriend listened to his chest and said he heard "wheesing" but nothing else seems to be wrong - he is active, in healthy weight, his appetite seems to get even encreased lately, no shortage of breath or panting...

Thank you!
[notify]

♥ TT- ♥

Purred: Fri Jun 4, '10 8:07am PST 
Hi Julian wave

It sounds like feline asthma to me thinking

TT was just diagnosed last week. I know it is scary. Try to get into the vet as soon as you can, tell them you think it is an asthma attack. If you kitty is having trouble breathing, they should squeeze you in.
[notify]

Finnegan- (Finney)

I am a- CARNIVORE! Not a- Cornivore!

Purred: Fri Jun 4, '10 9:23am PST 
Hi Julian, go to my mom's website, www.ibdkitties.net. Click on the Articles link and then click on Feline Asthma. There's a video and pictures there of our friend Kai who has asthma and her asthma attack! Maybe this will give you some additonal info.
[notify]

Julian

Purred: Fri Jun 4, '10 9:26am PST 
Thank you very much, guys!

I'm at work and can't watch video, have to wait until I get home...

I made an appointment with the vet for 3 p.m. tonight, fingers crossed...
[notify]

♥ TT- ♥

Purred: Fri Jun 4, '10 11:49am PST 
Here is the link to Finnegan's page:

www.ibdkitties.net

Here is a good website with info:

www.marvistavet.com

Youtube also has videos of cats having asthma attacks way to go

Good luck at your vet visit!
[notify]

Natalia

Black is Back!

Purred: Fri Jun 4, '10 3:01pm PST 
I give Omega 6 Fatty Acids for hairball control and the cats love the taste! It is pricey, but works well as a regular treat. Licorice Root is another effective hairball remedy that is better for older cats. Coconut oil is great too, as it has no side effects and is great for giving daily. My cats love the taste of oat grass and I keep several boxes around the hosue, since they can't get their greens from outside, being hosue cats and all. Omega 6 Fatty Acids from cranberry or vegetable oil is probably the best, though. It is so easy to give on a daily basis. Zinc is another good hairball prevention that has no side effects and can be given every day. I've heard aloe vera powder can be used for for hairballs, but this is one remedy I haven't yet tried.
[notify]

♥- Bella- ♥

I\'m married to- Tucker!!!

Purred: Fri Jun 4, '10 3:15pm PST 
I had the same problem. Actually Mommie took me to the vet, with a video of my coughing (try to video tape it, it may help your vet if they see the actual problem). Our vet still though it was a hairball, but did a lung x-ray and I have chronic bronchitis (which according to what we read on the net is another name for feline asthma) Right now it is considered mild, and we aren't doing anything but monitoring it. Mommie is considering finding a holistic vet and talking to them about it though, cuz we know someone whose kittie has pretty severe asthma and it has improved greatly with a holistic treatment. way to go
[notify]

Julian

Purred: Fri Jun 4, '10 4:34pm PST 
Back from the vet, it's laringitissmile. No bronchitis, no asthma - thanks God! We still did x-ray (I asked, in order to rule out anything more serious) and it came out just fine.

I asked vet about asthma and he said at once "no" - with asthma they have trouble to get the air out and not "in" or something like that.

Julian is not vocal at all, he mews very, very rarely, so I still have no idea whether he lost his mew or his mew changed - he is just a serioussmile and silent cat.

Julian will be taking antibiotics for a week, this should help (paws crossed).

He says thank you all very much for your responses!

PS. Neither Julian nor Santana ever had hairballs. Like I said in the beginning of my post they do not groom themselves and I believe on raw diet they are not suppose to have them anyway. My previous cat had one hairball in his life when he was 7 years old but I didn't bath him often (only before shows), so he groomed himself, at least from time to time.
[notify]

♥ TT- ♥

Purred: Fri Jun 4, '10 4:53pm PST 
Oh, that is good news! cheer

I hope the antibiotic clears everything up for Julian cheer

Let us know!
[notify]

Kristen

Purred: Sat Jun 5, '10 12:46pm PST 
You might want to consider giving some plant sterols for respiratory health.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2