GO!

How Long Do Cats With Effusive (wet) FIP typically live?

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Mr. Nigel- Pibb

When Mr.- Nigelsworth gets- angry...

Purred: Wed Oct 28, '09 10:28am PST 
I have a foster cat that has received a strong diagnosis of wet FIP. He has yellow abdominal fluid. He is still eating, drinking, peeing & pooping.

For those of you that have been through this, how long has your cat survived? He is also currently receiving accupuncture and chinese herbal medicine.

We have him staying separated from the other cats in the bathroom (we are in a 1 bedroom apt), except for when we are home and can supervise him from using the other cats litter box and food/water bowls. My 2 cats and 1 other foster were exposed to him for about 5 weeks before he became symptomatic but of course I can't turn back the hands of time and I'm hoping for the best.
[notify]

♥- SPIKE- ♥- always

little buddy- furever

Purred: Fri Oct 30, '09 6:15pm PST 
i am sooo sorry to hear this.hug
i passed from FIP almost 2 years ago (wow doesn't seem that long), however i had dry FIP. from all of the info mommy gathered wet FIP is actually a much quicker demise. i was diagnosed, looked like i was responding well to the meds and -BOOM- 10 days later i died in my mommy's arms.
she read for effusive it was inside a monthcrycry.
as far as isolation, my big sis was around me the whole time. not only did she NOT get FIP but she tested negative for coronavirus.
if you are worried, you can the other cats tested for FeCoV, the precursor to FIP. even if they are positive it does NOT mean it'll mutate into FIP. it just means close watching. it is good that you all don't use the same litterbox. if the other kitties contracted FeCoV it'll clear quicker. there is a support group for FIP on this site. consider joining that. maybe 1 of our very unfortunate members dealt with the effusive version.
your furmily will be in our purrshugcry
[notify]

Mr. Nigel- Pibb

When Mr.- Nigelsworth gets- angry...

Purred: Fri Oct 30, '09 6:33pm PST 
thank you so much for sharing your story with me. Tonight is a really hard night. Stringbean went for his 3rd of a series of 4 accupuncture sessions and the vet says that there is no need to come for the 4th as he is declining very fast and the accupuncture has become too painful for him to endure. Initially he had expected him to survive for another 6 months with the Chinese herbal meds, but now he believes that it will be 3 months at best. It's really sad for me because he appeared to be the healthiest at first and he is definitely the friendliest cat out of a colony of 16 cats I rescued, spayed/neutered and found homes for starting the beginning of the summer. He had the most unfortunate circumstances of all of them before I rescued him and I was hoping that he was going to start a great new life, but sadly now he is not. I checked out the FIP support group but it doesn't look like there are many posters and they don't post often.
[notify]

♥- SPIKE- ♥- always

little buddy- furever

Purred: Fri Oct 30, '09 6:59pm PST 
it is a small group (thank G'D), but i didn't know if any of them had experience. in my experience it always seems the sweetest kittens get this insidious disease. looks like he touched your heart which makes it harder. the only thing they can do is drain the fluid and give him things to calm his immune system. maybe pick up some nutrical. if wet is anything like dry he'll waste away pretty quickly. i lost 7oz in 10 days. the goal this point is to give a decent quality of life regardless of how short that will be. being as this is terminal not much else can be done.
hug
[notify]