GO!

Tiny Kitten covered in fleas

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Lil' Kitten.- (A.K.A.- "Billy")

FEED ME !!!

Purred: Tue Jun 16, '09 6:28pm PST 
I need to find a way to get rid of fleas on a kitten that is about 5weeks old (I am guessing 5). He is too tiny and young according to the warning labels on nearly all flea products. Is there a flea shampoo that is safe for him too? None of my 9 others ever had fleas and none in the house but this one was unplanned rescue and I until I get these fleas off of him I can't let any of mine around him. Right now he is in the bathroom but that is not going to keep the fleas from going to the rest of the house so I need to do something fast. Also he has a lot of bites on him from the fleas and I don't want to make those worse with a bunch of chemicals. That could be painful for the poor little guy. I have tried a flea comb but with all the bites it is hard to get the fleas and they seem to elude me every time.
The poor thing was so aggravated and frantic till I gave him a bath with regular kitty shampoo, which I did as soon as I got him home. That got rid of some fleas and tons of dirt but he still has some on him that are driving him crazy. shrug
[notify]

Boris

I'm cute and I- know how to use- that :)

Purred: Tue Jun 16, '09 6:40pm PST 
Some rescuers swear by bathing with water mixed with a little Dawn dishwashing soap will help a kitten in a pinch. What that's supposed to do is weaken the fleas enough where they can be combed out more rapidly. Poor little fellow. frown

Here's the top link I found when google searching... I like how the process is explained throughly

Edited by author Tue Jun 16, '09 6:43pm PST

[notify]

Sky

time to play!

Purred: Tue Jun 16, '09 7:48pm PST 
My vet has always told us to use lemon Joy to bathe fleazy babies; and of course follow up with a flea comb. Good luck.

PS. We like to use Raid carpet flea spray outside the bathroom door where we keep the fleasy kitten/cat.
[notify]

FEED ME !!!

Purred: Tue Jun 16, '09 7:48pm PST 
Thank you Boris!! I will let you know how it goes, and I will check out the link right now.

Oh, and Sky, thanks for the tip on the Raid under the door. I hadn't even thought of that. Great idea

Edited by author Tue Jun 16, '09 7:51pm PST

[notify]

♥- Suey- ♥

Loved

Purred: Tue Jun 16, '09 10:37pm PST 
It would be worth checking out if Capstar is appropriate for him. I have used it in kittens 5 weeks and up under vet supervision. I have used the iron as a makeshift steamer on carpets when I've had badly flea infested kittens. Fleas hate the heat.

Good luck smile
[notify]

Benny Grunch

Will Meow for- Treats!!!

Purred: Wed Jun 17, '09 6:17am PST 
And a suggestion for when you come through the kitten, "empty" the flea comb over small plastic container filled with half hot water and half bleach. Will ensure the fleas do not jump back on the kitten or on you.

Good luck, and let us know how the kitten is doing.

Benny Grunch and The New Orleans Kitties
[notify]

Biscuit- (Angel)

Guardian- Angel~23.8 Years- of Love

Purred: Wed Jun 17, '09 8:34am PST 
You can use a flea bath or spray called "De Flea" made by a company called Natural Chemistry. You can get it at Petco, Petsmart, ect.
It isn't a poison but kills thru breaking the waxy coat of the flea/tick/mite. It's non-toxic. Mom as used it for years. Used it on snakes (mites) hamsters, mice, baby mice, week-old kittens, you name it. You can use it on babies, nursing/preg mommas and animals taking meds.
You find it packaged for cats, dogs, and reptiles but it'a all the same formula so if you can't find it packaged for kitties just grab the snake-spray mol!

Purrrrs,
Biscuit
[notify]

FEED ME !!!

Purred: Fri Jun 19, '09 5:12am PST 
Thank you all for all of the information and ideas! I had a heck of a time trying to clean his head and face. I used a washrag for his face but I am afraid of getting too close to his eyes and mouth with any of the dish soap (tried Dawn since that is what I had here and they used Dawn to clean all those animals after that oil spill some years ago didn't they? must be somewhat safe). It is very hard also to comb him that close to the skin (where the fleas were) because of all of the bites on him. And how do I comb his chin and neck area ?? That seems to be where they all ran to and he is just too squirmy to comb there without hurting him. I know there is some way to hold him correctly to do this or some trick to it. Maybe just practice?? I will keep trying till we get them all.

He does seem to be feeling much better already though!dancing
[notify]

Tabitha

Bridge to- Terabithia,- fairy princess

Purred: Sat Jun 20, '09 12:29am PST 
If you ever need to do this again, just use the Dawn Original dishwash liquid or Baby Shampoo will also do.

We always bathe new kittens, as the Advantage takes 2 hours to kick in, and the Frontline Plus takes 24 hours.

The fleas will swarm to the head, face, and neck areas during the bath.
Also, check the genitals, stomach, in between toes, the rump, and upper tail.
The water & soap "weakens" the fleas, so they can be plucked out by hand. Gross, but you can't reach those areas with a comb. I would wait to dry them off until the fleas are all plucked out, as they "revive" and seem to come back to life when the fur dries. I just pluck or you can tweeze them and place them in warm soapy water (so they don't jump back out).

Don't rinse them down the drain, make sure to flush them down the toilet.
[notify]

Bumpurr

RESPECT The- Star!

Purred: Sat Jun 20, '09 5:42am PST 
Ask your vet about Revolution. You can use it on kittens as young as
6 weeks, you need the pink one. When I had to go that route, because
Cowboy had issues with his ears, and they ruled out mites and infection,
3 seperate times. big grin

I had asked kitties on here about it, and got alot of positive feedback, and
I asked Cowboy's breeder, and she said she uses it on her kittens. big grin

You have to get it thru the vet.

Never put Dawn full strength on a kitten, you have to dilute it with water.
And make sure you rinse, rinse, rinse, and rinse some more.

If you need to confine the kitten, so you can work on just his head, wrap
him in a towel, kinda like a coocoon, with just his little head sticking out.
He is not going anywhere. big grin

Best of luck. big grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grin
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2