GO!

Cinnamon & Cats

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Mezzanotte

Are you trying- to eat my- kibbles?!

Purred: Wed May 20, '09 8:35am PST 
Is ground cinnamon toxic to cats? (the kind used for cooking) I want to sprinkle some in the sliding glass door track since tiny ants are coming in and I've heard they don't like cinnamon.
[notify]

Meow in- Loving- Memory

where is my Mom?

Purred: Wed May 20, '09 10:50pm PST 
I have searched for over an hour on line about this and have not found a thing that states it is bad for cats. If anyone else knows, plz tell us. Hazel Lucy or somebody with a raw diet like Shadow might know better.
[notify]

Shadow

Education is the- Key

Purred: Wed May 20, '09 11:25pm PST 
Ok I know I have read this somewhere that it is Toxic to cats, but do you think I can find it now? I will try and find the link ok.
Purrs......Shadow.
[notify]

Heidi- McFlooferson

I love everyone!

Purred: Thu May 21, '09 2:47am PST 
According to the ASPCA, it's non-toxic:

ASPCA site - cinnamon
[notify]

Sootball

I am so cute,- scratch my belly- mol

Purred: Fri May 22, '09 1:53am PST 
That is what My Vet told me and My Pharmacist told me today.
[notify]

Miss Mittens- - Angel DG #14

Angel Diva

Purred: Sat May 23, '09 9:56am PST 
This is good to know! We have tiny ants coming into our kitchen and I refuse to spray or use anything poisonous. Using Cinnamon is worth a try. big grin
[notify]

Kiwi

Purred: Thu Aug 6, '09 8:36pm PST 
Wow! It sure took awhile to sign up for an account just so I could tell you to look here:
http://www.metpet.com/Reference/Health/cinnamon%20for%20diabe tic%20pets.htm
A little cinnamon is ok.
I also know that the cinnamon we use for baking isn't truly from the cinnamon tree but perhaps it is enough the same. Cinnamon is also good for fungal infections so I'm hoping it will help with what I think is ringworm on my cat.
[notify]

~Grizzly~- Angel much- missed

Catch it before- it catches you!

Purred: Thu Aug 6, '09 9:02pm PST 
As an herbalist and aromatherapist, I would advise you not to apply cinnamon to your cat's fungal infection. Cinnamon is a "warming" type of medicine and could irritate your cat's skin. (try it on your own skin and see).
If your cat has ringworm, you should seek help from your vet...that type of fungal infection can be passed on to others including children, other pets, yourself. Cinnamon (especially the powdered type sold in grocery stores) will not cure you cat's problem and may actually create other problems. Make an appointment with your vet.
Good luck!

Edited by author Thu Aug 6, '09 9:10pm PST

[notify]

Bird

Purred: Tue Sep 1, '09 7:03pm PST 
I had ants coming in a window and didn't want to use poison. Mainly because my cats loved to sit in that window. Well one of them had to go, so it was the ants. I found Cinnamon to work instantly. And my cats don't seem to mind, and so far no health problems with them. I was very surprised that Cinnamon worked so well, but it does, ants hate the stuff. There are other things too, but cinnamon did the job for me.
[notify]

Sootball

I am so cute,- scratch my belly- mol

Purred: Wed Sep 2, '09 11:08pm PST 
I was having the same problem. When I was at Walmart trying to find something non toxic, I found that Bay Leaves , Mint leaves and cayenne Pepper should work. Sry but I opted out and got Spectracide to use outside but I also bought the bay leaves for places where my cats are by. Esp after I found a group of ants eating some of there Max Cat food that spilled on a windowsill . I found that they are not the sweet ants but grease ants.
http://www.ehow.com/how_5235343_rid-ants-toxins.html
Check this site for more info. This part does say u can use cinn.
Good Luck and keep us informed.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2