GO!

Nail polish smell?

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Watson

He's no- Sherlock!

Purred: Fri May 8, '09 9:01pm PST 
I had a question from a friend, for which I had no answer, so I'm coming herebig grin. Here is her email, pretty much in it's entirety, personal info blanked out:

i know you have had cats for some time and had a couple questions. Anyway i feed the strays in my neighborhood and they normaly hang out in my boat house. i was giving frontline treatments now that warmer weather is here and i noticed one of them smelled like nail polish remover. i was wondering if you thought i should take him/her into the vet. ***** said he read somewhere thats a sign of sickness? I don't want to stress em out trying to catch him and take him to the vet if its not a concern. So figured i would ask what u thought. The catch and release for front line is traumatic enough i don't want to over do it you know?
[notify]

Ben

I fetch,- therefore I am.

Purred: Sat May 9, '09 12:52pm PST 
Breath that smells like nail polish remover (acetone) is a symptom of diabetes.

Here is a pretty good article:
Diabetic Ketoacidosis (DKA) in Cats
(It will ask you to register, but you don't have to. Just close the window.)

Watson

He's no- Sherlock!

Purred: Sat May 9, '09 3:00pm PST 
Thank you so much! I'll direct her to the site, and she can see to kittybig grin
[notify]

Miss Puff

carma works,- wish I never- chaced Meow

Purred: Sat May 9, '09 10:57pm PST 
wow Ben, I never knew that. Thank you for this information.
[notify]

Paisan- =^..^= Angel-

Yes, I do answer- to pizza.

Purred: Sun May 10, '09 11:32pm PST 
That was a good call!!!! Especially when you have a mom like ours. We have an electric toothbrush that mom gently brushes our teeth with water only. It is a little toothbrush. I still smell like Pizza, tho. If mom were to smell like tuna on me she would be concerned. It is funny how everyday smells can mean danger to a kitty. Thanks for the info!!!
[notify]