GO!

Limping/Weakness in Back Leg

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Felix - In Loving- Memory

Felix the Lap- Cat

Purred: Tue Nov 25, '08 7:57am PST 
Felix's mom here-

Shortly after I came home from work yesterday evening, I noticed that Felix was hobbling on one of his rear legs (the left one). He did not appear to be in severe pain - he never cried out when I tried to examine his leg and he was alert and eating and drinking normally. He was even jumping on and off the furniture as he normally does!

After taking his nap (yesterday evening), Felix started walking normally again and was fine the rest of the evening. However, shortly after we got up this morning, he started limping again. I took the day off work and called his vet as soon as they opened. He has a 2:00 appointment (the earliest they could see him).

The limping has subsided again, and Felix is still behaving normally - alert, normal appetite, and used his box. I thought at first he had just jarred or strained his leg jumping off of something, but now I'm not so sure. The limp comes and goes, and he's not in visible pain. It seems to be a recurring weakness in the leg.

He is going to the vet this afternoon, but in the meantime, I'd like to know if anyone here has any idea what this could be. I'm very worried.

Thank you in advance for your input.
[notify]

Biscuit- (Angel)

Guardian- Angel~23.8 Years- of Love

Purred: Tue Nov 25, '08 10:09am PST 
Oh my Felix I'm not sure what it could be. I know diabetes and neurological things and low potassium and all kinds of sprains and strains and even a little sticker you cannot see...but then he acts fine most of the time thinking

I'm gonna purrr really hard for you pal that you have a good checkup and it's nothing bad at all.

*big purrrs*
Biscuit
[notify]

Felix - In Loving- Memory

Felix the Lap- Cat

Purred: Tue Nov 25, '08 2:18pm PST 
Hi, Biscuit! Thank you for your purrs and your input. I think those purrs helped. I'm back from the vet, and I have good news! My vet, Dr. Mel, examined my leg thoroughly and didn't find any evidence of a break. She said I probably just have a "soft tissue injury," that is, a strain or sprain, and should be fine in a few days. She said it's not unusual in these cases for the limp to come and go like it did. Dr. Mel told Mom to keep an eye on me and if I'm still having trouble with my leg after a week to bring me back for x-rays.

I haven't limped any more since this morning and have been my normal crazy self all day, so Mom and I hope that's the end of it.

Thanks so much to all my friends here for your purrs, prayers, good wishes and rosettes. I know they were a big help!

Purrs,
Felix

Edited by author Tue Nov 25, '08 2:20pm PST

[notify]