GO!

If you use Lantus Insulin - This is for You!

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Hazel Lucy,- Charles- Dorney, Ma

tiny gumdrop

Purred: Fri Nov 21, '08 11:02am PST 
There is a way to save money if you or your pet uses Lantus insulin. Lantus is almost $100 for a 100ml bottle, and most of it goes to waste because it stops working at about 60-80 days. I went online to read about alternatives. I bought the Lantus cartridges. They are the refills for the Lantus Opticlick Pen (you can get the scrip for just the cartridges). Each cartridge is 3ml so you have much less waste than with the 100ml bottle. The initial outlay of $162 (with a AAA discount) goes much farther. You can also buy the Lantus Solostar Pen, it also has the rubber seal on it but it's usually a little more than the cartridges. I saved a fortune! Please let your friends know about this. My vet was happy to learn about it! (People and pets are doing this to save money).
Hazel Lucy
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Fri Nov 21, '08 1:20pm PST 
Hazel Lucy wave

Yes, the Lantus pen cartridges are much more cost effective than the 10ml bottle way to go A box contains 5 cartridges and that is a 5 month supply right there. You use one cartridge each month. This prevents pooped out insulin issues that are common with the 10ml bottle.

You do not need the OptiClick insulin pen. The cartridge has a rubber stopper, just like the bottle, and you insert the insulin syringe needle into it.

You can also use the Lantus Solostar pen. You have to take the pen apart to insert the insulin syringe needle into the rubber stropper. The pen only doses in whole units and many cats need half unit doses or smaller.

Another way to save money is to use a free prescription drug card. Here is a list for US residents: http://www.felinediabetes.com/phorum5/read.php?8,1352341,1352341 The cards are free and can save you money on Lantus and other medicines you may need.
[notify]

Hazel Lucy,- Charles- Dorney, Ma

tiny gumdrop

Purred: Sat Nov 22, '08 5:24pm PST 
Thanks for info about the drug cards, Merlin!
We're so excited about the cartridges. Every time mom fills the syringe she is smiling!
Although my numbers are about the same (fructosamine test), I am doing so much better on Lantus. I had terrible dandruff all over my back and after using Lantus for just a few weeks, all the dandruff was gone!
Thanks again!
HL
[notify]

Leia - in loving- memory

Skelator

Purred: Thu Dec 4, '08 6:45pm PST 
My cat was just diagnosed and the insulin is very expensive. I'm interested in the prescription cards. Do you ever get questioned when using them since the insulin is actually for your cat and not for yourself?
[notify]

lorelei

Purred: Thu Apr 22, '10 9:26am PST 
I don't know if this is still true - but it would be a LIFESAVER for my baby, Lorelei, and myself - has anybody recently tried using the LANTUS 'pen' for insulin rather than wasting so much a month on the 10ml bottle. I wish I had known this a long time ago - any recent updates on progress of kitties using the 'pen' rather than the vial would be appreciated!wave
[notify]

Gumpy Sweet- Boy

Love wrapped in- fur

Purred: Fri Apr 23, '10 8:25am PST 
Hi Lorelei (lovely name),
There are a lot of kitties who use the Lantus pens (on the FDMB that I'm aware of). I believe the pens last at least 30 days (I heard it sometimes can last longer than that), so the 5 pack of pens would last at least 5 months. We use a different insulin, but are considering using this and have heard that 5 pen pack is the way to go.

BTW, if you are interested the message board at felinediabetes.com, FDMB, is very helpful. There is a Lantus insulin support group there - you have to register to get that group.

Best wishes from one sugar cat to another!
[notify]

*Poof*

Purred: Fri Apr 23, '10 1:26pm PST 
Lantus comes in 3 different types of contains: 10 ml bottle, pack of five 3ml SoloStar pens, and a pack of five 3ml OptiClick cartridges. They all contain the exact same insulin: Lantus.

There is no difference at all between cats who use only the bottle and those who use the pens or cartridges. Any differences in blood glucose levels and such is just how the cat responds to Lantus and the dose. Every cat responds to insulin differently.

The 10 ml bottle doesn't last very long for cats. Because diabetic cats need tiny amounts of insulin, a 10 ml bottle goes bad before it can be completely used up. Human diabetics can use a 10 ml bottle very quickly. For cats, the 10 ml bottle costs too much to be buying every single month or so ($100 )

The packs of SoloStar pens or OptiClick cartridges are much more cost effective way to go You use one pen or cartridge each month. So the entire pack will last 5 months smile Say a pack costs $150. Each pen or cartridge would only cost $30 each.

SoloStar pens are pre-filled with 3ml of Lantus. You just uncap a pen and stick the insulin syringe needle into the rubber stopper and draw up a dose that way. Like this picture: How to use insulin syringes with a SoloStar pen way to go

OptiClick cartridges also contain 3 ml of Lantus and are designed to be used in an insulin pen but you don't need the pen part. Use it just like the SoloStar pen above: insert the insulin syrine needle into the rubber stopper at the end and draw up a dose, like in this picture

Do not inject air or extra insulin back into the SoloStar pen or OptiClick cartridge. Or 10 ml bottle if you are using that. Doing so will ruin the entire pen/cartridge/bottle.

Levemir FlexPens are used the exact same waysmile

The message board at FelineDiabetes.com has lots of good updated info for diabetic cats way to go

Edited by author Fri Apr 23, '10 1:27pm PST

[notify]

Ralphie

Adopt and be- kind

Purred: Fri Oct 8, '10 8:56pm PST 
I took your recommendation and had my vet prescribe my diabetic cat the Lantus Solostar. I also purchased the nano needles to use with the pen and realized that my cat's dose is 3.5 and the solostar doses in whole units. I have been using the Solostar pen for 8 days when I noticed that Ralphie stopped eating, drinking and became very weak. I was giving him his insulin shots using the Lantus Solostar pen cartridge and using the regular syringe so that he gets his 3.5 unit. He is in the hospital due to very high glucose level and severe dehydration. My vet used the Lantus Solostar at least 4 times but his glucose level remained too high. He then decided to use Lantus in a vial and miraculously, it worked and his sugar level went down. I am not exactly sure what happened here. I paid $205 for it plus $39.99 for the needles I cannot use. Not sure what to do about getting reimbursed by the manufacturer. Has anyone experienced this? I only pray that my Ralphie is getting better and getting released from the hospital tomorrow morning.
[notify]

Gumpy Sweet- Boy

Love wrapped in- fur

Purred: Fri Oct 8, '10 9:43pm PST 
Ralphie, I know there are a lot of kitties on the FDMB (feline diabetes message board) who use Lantus in the pens. I don't know why the insulin being in the pen vs. the vial would give such a different effect. I have heard that Lantus is quite a fragile insulin. It can lose efficacy or "poop out" (as it's been called) faster than other insulins. Lantus and all insulin also needs to be stored properly and handled carefully. Maybe it had been damaged and lost efficacy? That is a lot of money, I'd contact the manufacturer. I know lots of kitties use Lantus on the FDMB, you could also post a question there.

I also want to mention that if you are not already, consider testing Ralphie's BG at home. This way you can really know what is happening with the insulin and the dose. Lots of info about hometesting at the FDMB.

I hope Raphie get stabilized.
[notify]

*Poof*

Purred: Sat Oct 9, '10 5:51am PST 
You use regular insulin syringes with the Lantus pens or cartridges so you can measure smaller than whole unit doses way to go Maybe you can give away the pen needles to a Human diabetic?

A pen or cartridge is good for about a month. There are 5 in the box so you have a toughly 5 month supply right there big grin Lantus does poop out after a month or so.

I'm not sure why your bg levels would be so high after 8 days of starting a new pen and only came down when the vet used a bottle thinking Bg levels do fluctutate day to day. There may be other health issues going on. Do you test your bgs at home? It's important that you know how the bgs are doing so you can better manage the diabetes.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2