GO!

Winter

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Oreo

Make it look- like the dog did- it

Purred: Sat Oct 4, '08 8:41am PST 
I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to post, I just didn't know where to post this.
So, now that the winter monthes are coming up I thought I'd start this thread where we share what we do to keep our kitties warm ect...
This way everyone has ideas of what to do.
I'll start:
It dosn't snow here and it dosn't get as cold as in other places but its still really cold. All my cats are kept indoors, and sometimes I give them warm homemade catnip tea, warm goat milk, or warm lactose free cow's milk ( just a little bit) Sometimes it even gets very cold inside so I put cat jackets on my kitties and their fine with it.
[notify]

Isabelle

Do I smell- treats??

Purred: Sat Oct 4, '08 9:26am PST 
We got a heated wooly mat last winter that was a pretty big hit, but I only turn it on when I'm home just in case something fritzes out. Isabelle also burrows in the comforter when we're gone during the day. There is a lump of kitty about 1/3 of the way down the bed. big laugh
[notify]

Pepper

Please Save a- Life, Adopt a- Cat!

Purred: Sat Oct 4, '08 9:34am PST 
This is actually a really useful post for me!! I have to leave Pepper home for the work day (8 hours) without heat. We live in Wisconsin and it gets miserably cold but there is no way I am leaving the little heaters on all day. They are the kind that are either on or off without a thermostat of any kind, I don't want the house to over heat or to start a fire.

I am hoping you all will have ideas of how to be sure she says warm all winter.
[notify]

Scooter

A little bit- naughty.

Purred: Sat Oct 4, '08 9:47am PST 
I like to sleep under the bed covers too! But, I do it all year round and I am a purry furry cat. I just love dark, cuddly places!! MOL In the winter, I am extra snuggly with Mom and Dad too. There's nothing warmer on a cold evening than a lap! MOLcheercheer
[notify]

Yoda

Knocking stuff- off a shelf near- you!

Purred: Sat Oct 4, '08 11:32am PST 
We have a heated bed that we all love! There is always one of us in there. We bought it online for about $50. It stays slightly warm until a kitty goes in, and then it warms up even more. It is the best bed ever!

There are also discs that you can put in the microwave for a few minutes and then slip them under a blanket or in the bed. They stay warm for hours.
[notify]

Delyte, Dark- Angel, at- Bridge

Me and my- person, together- against all

Purred: Sat Oct 4, '08 11:35am PST 
This is Delyte. When our person used to go to work all day, it got pretty chilly in here. My companion, Peri, loved to get under the covers and make a lump in there. I follow the sun when there is any.

She got us a heated cat pad long ago, and we have never had any trouble with it electrically. We now have a heated cat bed and probably will get another one, as 4 large cats over 11 pounds each won't fit in it. Last winter all three kittens did. Plus I don't like to snuggle with other kitties no matter how cold it is! So I am getting my own heated bed.

At night when it is really cold there is the electric blanket. Sometimes all 4 cats are on the bed and it gets a little crowded, but usually it's just me.

None of us will wear clothes and everyone has thick enough fur except maybe me. None of us will eat hot food, we wait until it cools to room temperature.

This was long before my time, but when my person lived out in the country with her two cats, her furnace went out for about 30 hours in the middle of the winter. She turned on the electric blanket to high, and both kitties got on the bed but they cried and complained all night! We cats like our comforts.

We have a cat shelter outside for the outside cats but we think they have figured out their own shelters. One of our neighbors has holes in their skirting so it probably is easy to get in and get up under the warmest part of the floor and away from those gusts of wind.

If you get a heated cat bed from a reputable place with a UL rating, there is no reason to worry about leaving them on while you are gone. They also make heavy duty ones that can be put outside in a dog house type of situation. Cats will lay in the warmest spots they can find and move around to follow the heat. If you can get south facing windows with sun, that makes a lot of warmth.

Despite originating as desert animals, cats deal with cold okay, except maybe for sphynx and the curly-coated ones. They just like the warmth. Our person's dog used to lay in the coldest spot she could find, including on the snow bank outside. But she was a very longhaired dog.
[notify]

DESERT

PICK ME !! PICK- ME!! TO BE PET!!

Purred: Sat Oct 4, '08 6:35pm PST 
Wow we live in Canada,

And are out door kitties, where as mommy will make sure we stay inside during the day when it is colder than -15 degree celcius, she has no problems letting us stay out when it is warmer than that.

She says that God gave us fur coats for a reason.

We actually like to go outside and will stay out for at least and hour on the coldest days.

In winter mommy always lets us out in the morning and then we come back just before she leaves for work. Then when she comes home at night we go outside again. If she thinks it is too cold she tires to keep us in but, we begg her to go out untill she can't take it anymore and lets us out.

When it really is too cold to stay out we come in quickly.

That's what we do in the winter.
[notify]

DeeJay

Serve me and all- shall be well!

Purred: Sat Oct 4, '08 6:49pm PST 
We have the thermal cat/dog blankets as well as a heated plug in bed that we all 'fight' over. It gets cold here in the winters. We are all indoors, and meowmy does turn the thermostat down just a tad during the day. But we manage.
[notify]

♥- Suey- ♥

Loved

Purred: Sat Oct 4, '08 6:56pm PST 
We don't have one, but we've seen the microwaveable heating pads that Yoda mentioned. They are supposed to be warm for over 12 hours, and there are no worries about electricity.

Last winter when Fui and Suey were still small, we used to warm a heat pack (for sports injuries) in the microwave, and leave it under their blankets. They liked to snuggle up on the blankets, and would move closer to the heat pack over the couple of hours it took to cool down.
[notify]

Lucy

Tripods are- Terrific!!

Purred: Mon Oct 6, '08 1:29pm PST 
We have lots of warm places to sleep. Dad works rotating day/evening shifts, and Meowmy works nights. So there is almost always someone in the bed to snuggle with!! MOL laugh out loud
And the rest of the time, we just schmooze and snooze with our big furry doggie sisters!!dogkittykittykittydog
[notify]

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3