GO!

1 month old kittens have fleas. How do I get rid of the fleas?

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Hudson

My Fluffyness is- my Curse!

Purred: Tue Mar 25, '08 7:50am PST 
My sister brought home 3 kittens that are 1 month old yesterday and they all have fleas. And I would like to know how do we get rid of the fleas?

Can I pick out the fleas one by one?
Can I take the kittens a bath?
Help please!!!
[notify]

Hunter

Lazy, Lazy, Lazy

Purred: Tue Mar 25, '08 8:40am PST 
You can bathe the kittens. They are too young for traditional shampoos so you should use Dawn dishwashing soap. It is very gentle and cleans them well. Be sure to throughly dry them and keep them warm afterward.
[notify]

Bentley

Bentley - the luxury cat

Purred: Tue Mar 25, '08 11:53am PST 
the tricky part is making sure the fleas are out of your house, so they won't come back. we had fleas awhile back, and it took a few tries to get rid of the fleas b/c we were misinformed and told that just treating the cats was enough. they weren't even outdoor cats thinking our best advice is to ask your vet what to do.
[notify]

Pumpkin

*does happy- dance*

Purred: Tue Mar 25, '08 3:05pm PST 
get a flea comb. giving them a bath isnt gunna help. also you can get natural flea remeitys safe for little kittens, ask your vet.
[notify]

Hunter

Lazy, Lazy, Lazy

Purred: Wed Mar 26, '08 10:34am PST 
A flea comb is a great idea but giving them a bath WILL help. You need to get the fleas off of them one way or another. Having a lot of fleas can cause anemia in kittens very quickly. ALSO...there are no flea products safe enough for kittens that young. At 8 weeks you can start using topical flea medicines but they are much too young for that right now!
[notify]

Pumpkin

*does happy- dance*

Purred: Wed Mar 26, '08 9:49pm PST 
sorry but i disagree. i got a product from my vet thats safe for young kittens. we got a kitten from animal control loaded with fleas, and all a bath did was make them all go to his head. you cant use flea shampoo or else they will get sick.
[notify]

Cesar

the orange one

Purred: Wed Mar 26, '08 11:25pm PST 
try talking to your vet, or a vet, see what they have to say, go from there.
[notify]

Hudson

Purred: Fri Mar 28, '08 6:22am PST 
Thanks for all the responses. I'm going to take them to my vet this weekend.
[notify]

Maxwell- Edison (Max)

I try to be- invisible!

Purred: Sun Mar 30, '08 7:25pm PST 
When mom had orphan kittens way back when in the flea haven of Calif., the vet told her to bathe them. Mom had never raised an orphan kitten before and had no clue how dangerous fleas could be for little ones. They can get anemic from all the fleas. Whether from the fleas or another reason, one kitten sadly didn't make it long after that. They other did well and lived for 13 years. The hard part about fleas was treating the cat, the dog, the house and the yard. Here in AZ they luckily aren't much of a problem.
[notify]

Hudson

Purred: Mon Mar 31, '08 7:23am PST 
Hi Maxwell, I'm sorry about the kitten. That must have been a terrible loss for your mommy.

I called my vet's clinic and the receptionist told me it would cost $80 for flea medication. But then my brother told me to call his vet who works alone and he told me to take them a bath because they are way too young to get flea medication. So I gave them a bath and there are less fleas on them. dancing
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2