GO!

CAN CATS GET KENNEL COUGH?

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

CASSIE

Purred: Sun Mar 2, '08 3:26am PST 
Both my dogs are getting over kennel cough they have stopped sneezing and coughing now and have just finished a weeks course of antibiotics they are no longer showing signs of it as i caught it early, but now today ive noticed cassie sneezing alot she started yesterday, my vet told me that cats cant get it, but why is cassie showing symptoms sneezing alot just like my dog started.can anyone help here
[notify]

Liberty

August 2002-May- 2010. I AM- MISSED!

Purred: Sun Mar 2, '08 8:07am PST 
It might not have been kennel cough but something similar. If that were so then it would explain why the cat is sick. A good example would be Liberty. When I rescued her she was sick with a bacteria that has similar symptoms to feline distemper. Fortunately, because she came from a high kill shelter (that is 90 miles away) my vet treated her aggressively with antibiotics. It took one dose of meds to confirm it was bacterial in nature. I have since learned from someone that also rescued a cat (that was also close to death) from the same shelter that summer it was going around in both the cats and the dogs. Liberty was the 6th cat she knew of that had it. Her vet (who was very knowledgable about this shelter) called it a name said it was not common, was hard to diagnose. and was going around this shelter. It is possible that your dogs had something similar and gave it to your cat.
[notify]

CASSIE

Purred: Mon Mar 3, '08 9:28am PST 
thanks for your reply it was most helpful, cassie has been sneezing alot all day today and her eyes are running i think i may take her to the vet to get her checked out.she may end up on antibiotics like the dogs were hope my other cat doesnt get it it to seems highly likely as everyone else has had it.
[notify]

Jordan

Devilish- Darling!

Purred: Mon Mar 3, '08 11:49pm PST 
yes cats can get kennel cough but its not that common, sounds more like you have a virus to me. try add some L-lysine to your diet each day, average of 250mg or maybe even 500mg twice a day if you are a little worse, if things done calm in a few days you should chat with the doctor as you might need antibiotics.

Jordan
[notify]