GO!

cat health and aspartame

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Skip

Mamma's Boy

Purred: Tue Aug 14, '07 11:12pm PST 
how unhealthy is it for kitties to have aspartame, or other sweeteners????

I LOVE mommy's yogurt, and she sometimes will lick the lid from her yogurt container. It never seemed to bother me, but mommy bought this "sugar free" pudding that was loaded with sweeteners. She didn't like it very much and put it aside, then i got into it without mommy knowing, and almost ate the whole thing. now i've been feeling "groggy" and quite lazy these past few hours, is it a reaction to all the sweeteners????
mommy is a little concerned right now....
[notify]

Tommy

Beloved

Purred: Wed Aug 15, '07 11:47am PST 
I hope you are feeling better today.

I saw on the ASCPA site that aspartame is not harmful to dogs and other pets -- here is the Q&A I found:

" Pet Poison Q & A: Sweet Talk

I understand that the sweetener xylitol is toxic to pets, but what about other sweeteners like sucralose and aspartame?
―Kristin Z.

Great question, Kristin. Sweeteners such as sucralose (Splenda), aspartame (NutraSweet) and saccharin (Sweet N' Low) are not known to cause problems in dogs or other pets, as the sweetener xylitol has been shown to do. However, they could potentially cause mild gastrointestinal upset if eaten in significant quantities, so it is still a good idea to refrain from offering pets such sweeteners."

Please let us all know how you are doing.
Purrs,
Tommy
[notify]

Skip

Mamma's Boy

Purred: Wed Aug 15, '07 7:14pm PST 
thanks for that Tommy. Mommy googled it and couldn't find it, so she thought she'd ask the experts!!!!
I'm feeling much better today, back to normal actually. (mom kinda figured since I've tried to eat her lamp pole...)
[notify]

Hunter

Lazy, Lazy, Lazy

Purred: Wed Aug 15, '07 7:50pm PST 
According to the ASPCA:
Sweeteners such as sucralose (Splenda), aspartame (NutraSweet) and saccharin (Sweet N' Low) are not known to cause problems in dogs or other pets, as the sweetener xylitol has been shown to do. However, they could potentially cause mild gastrointestinal upset if eaten in significant quantities, so it is still a good idea to refrain from offering pets such sweeteners.

You may consider calling an emergency vet t0o see if there is anything to be concerned about based on your symptoms.

Purrs
[notify]