GO!

droopy fat pouch, or saggy skin?

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  
Sasha- 9/6/06-10/3/- 12

Purred: Sun Aug 12, '07 6:50pm PST 
Do you know how cats can get those fat pouches that hang down. Well sasha has developed a small one on the bottom of her abdomen. I dont see how it can be fat, she is only 11 months old, she is a very active cats she runs and jumps a lot and I dont feed her much. I feed her a half of a small can of wet food a day and I fill up her dry food bowl about every 3 days she she eats about a 3rd of a bowl a day. Could this be from her being spayed? Cause that is where her uterus was, and it seemed to develop shortly after I got her spayed, so I thought maybe it is just stretched out saggy skin?

Anyway, if it is fat, is there anything that I can do to help her get rid of it?
[notify]

Hunter

Lazy, Lazy, Lazy

Purred: Sun Aug 12, '07 7:13pm PST 
Often referred to as spay sway. It is typically a bit of fat that has accumulated in the abdominal area. Plenty of exercise will help to keep this from becoming larger.
[notify]

Moona

Hey Tinkle- Queen! Tinkle- Tinkle!!

Purred: Sun Aug 12, '07 7:15pm PST 
Haha.. I have the droop! I'm a pudgy girl who likes to lay around and drink Mai-Tai's. wink

Anyway, yeah, it's just from a spay. Harmless, but exercise will keep it from getting worse or unsightly.
[notify]

Sasha- 9/6/06-10/3/- 12

Purred: Sun Aug 12, '07 7:21pm PST 
spay sway!! haha!! That is funny! But exercise wont make it go away? My sister's cats as they got older they both had the swinging stomachs (one of them was a male) but it was their entire abdomens, lol and her female cat is a lazy B who does nothing but lay around! lol

It is almost like I want to get her kitty liposuction! lol
[notify]

Sebastian

Looks like a- salami

Purred: Mon Aug 13, '07 6:51am PST 
Hello! My Sebastian is a male, and was the runt of the litter. But when he was about six months old, he developed this droopy fat pouch. I took him to the vet who said it's just his fat pad, and it was normal. He looked kind of funny because he was so skinny at the time, but I should have taken it as a sign of things to come as he went on to become an ENORMOUS cat, not just heavy, but very large boned. He's 15 now and still has the fat pouch, and is happy and healthy!
kitty
[notify]

Midnight Helen

Helen of- Midnight

Purred: Mon Aug 13, '07 6:52am PST 
I have one too! Mommy gets a laugh out of seeing it swinging back and forth when I run! It's just from us being spayed.
[notify]

LuLu - Now an angel

Prettiest eyes- on Catster

Purred: Mon Aug 13, '07 11:13am PST 
I am another sister with the spay sway. Woo Hoo!

Edited by author Mon Aug 13, '07 11:13am PST

[notify]

Margaux- Hemingway

It's all about- me, and always- was!

Purred: Mon Aug 13, '07 11:25am PST 
I have the "spay sway," and my brother has a fat pouch. Our mama cat was large and in charge, so we will probably be pretty big too. The vet told Mother that cats store fat on their abdomen the same way human women store fat in their hips/thighs/tummies. It's the cat "problem area," if we were so vain as to be concerned with an extra curve here and there! Totally normal. But she also said to watch the girl cats because sometimes they "pack on the pounds," after getting fixed. There was a thread the other day about the laser pointers, which we LOVE to chase around. A couple of times a day, get Sasha really running, and she will keep a healthy weight on.

We are also not allowed to free feed because we eat however much is in front of us within 24 hours, be it 3/4 cup (our current amount) or 2 cups. Doesn't matter. We like to snack and nap all day long if we can!
[notify]

Luna

Don't ignore me!

Purred: Mon Aug 13, '07 1:41pm PST 
One of my cats has one too. It is like humans how we keep fat on our tummies. SOme are more suspetible than others. I dont think any amount of excercises will make it go way. smile

Vet tech 12 years
www.cathealthnurse.blogspot.com
[notify]

Smudge

Sweet Cheeks !!

Purred: Mon Aug 13, '07 2:20pm PST 
laugh out loudlaugh out loudbig laughbig laughbig laughHunter!! you get us every time MOL
I got Spay sway toored face
[notify]

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5