GO!

Mange in feral cats -- how to treat it?

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Feral Cat Colonies

Feral does not- mean homeless.

Purred: Sat Mar 24, '07 6:41am PST 
Does anyone have any good ways to treat mange in feral cats?
[notify]

Booger

Purred: Sat Mar 24, '07 10:29am PST 
Mange is often addressed and treated during the TNR procedures performed by most feral cat organizations. Cats can be treated with Revolution at this time; however, because mange is highly contagious the ideal situation would be to treat the entire colony which is usually not feasible nor is the repeated dosages needed. I am almost positive that there is medication that can be added to food which is very common with feral cat colony caretakers.

If the colony is not managed, I recommend that you speak with a local feral cat organization in your area. The website below can help you get in touch with feral cat organizations in your area. They will also be able to help you make arrangements to have the cat(s) spayed/neutered.

www.alleycat.org

If the colony is managed, you should speak with someone within the organization or the vet which is affliated with the organization. Mange can sometimes be a sign of something more serious, and depending on the severity and the number of cats affected, the organization may want to trap the cat(s) showing clinical signs for further evaluation as well as to protect the unaffected cats. Keep in mind too that it is not always feasible to treat feral cat colonies for disease and that mange in particular may improve with time and proper colony management.

~Booger~
[notify]

Luciano

Gimme some- lovin'

Purred: Sat Mar 24, '07 11:20am PST 
We're with Booger..last year there was an outbreak of ringworm in the colony, they treated the whole colony with Program but the ones that got the best treatment were the kitties seen by the vet at that time. Sometimes we wolf down anything and others we're very finicky so meds in the food work to a point. That said we get them regularly as we're exposed to practically everything. I'm for adoption now (yay) the vet found out all kinds of parasites, mites and fleas, I'm still being cleaned up!
[notify]

Luciano

Gimme some- lovin'

Purred: Sat Mar 24, '07 11:21am PST 
We're with Booger..last year there was an outbreak of ringworm in the colony, they treated the whole colony with Program but the ones that got the best treatment were the kitties seen by the vet at that time. Sometimes we wolf down anything and others we're very finicky so meds in the food work to a point. That said we get them regularly as we're exposed to practically everything. I'm for adoption now (yay) the vet found out all kinds of parasites, mites and fleas, I'm still being cleaned up!
[notify]

Luciano

Gimme some- lovin'

Purred: Sat Mar 24, '07 11:21am PST 
[notify]

Luciano

Gimme some- lovin'

Purred: Sat Mar 24, '07 11:22am PST 
[notify]

Luciano

Gimme some- lovin'

Purred: Sat Mar 24, '07 11:23am PST 
[notify]