GO!

Tooth extraction?

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Arthur (Miss- You!- '93-'09)

Bucket of Fuzz

Purred: Sat Sep 30, '06 7:02pm PST 
For those of you who've experienced it... How long does it take to recover? Does it interfere with your eating, either during healing or after?

Hunter

Lazy, Lazy, Lazy

Purred: Sat Sep 30, '06 7:03pm PST 
What tooth are you having extracted?
You will need paiun medications. Should eat soft food for 1-2 weeks and then you should be back to normal.
[notify]

Hannah♥- ;

My Heart Is True

Purred: Sat Sep 30, '06 7:18pm PST 
Arthur, our cat Lucy just had 7 teeth removed a couple of months ago. She has a disease I still can't pronounce (Hunter will know), but it causes her gum tissue to over grow, and loosen the teeth. She has never liked wet food, so I was very worried she would have nothing to eat! As far as pain after, well she was eating her dry food even before the removals, and her mouth was very sore. So this is an easy recovery, most times. You will probably have to start antibiotics before the surgery, a couple days before, because like human teeth, the bacteria can get into the bloodstream during cleaning and surgery. Lucy is now eating both foods willingly, but may have to have more teeth out, because she is still drooling and smacking, which was her symptom. What problem are you having? Hannah's Mom
[notify]

Hunter

Lazy, Lazy, Lazy

Purred: Sun Oct 1, '06 8:14am PST 
Hannah,
Do you have stomatitis?
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Sun Oct 1, '06 8:20am PST 
I had a dental in March and had many teeth removed. My mouth was sore for a few days afterwards but the pain medicine helped. I ate soft foods for a week. I do not have many teeth left but it does not bother me during eating.
[notify]

Squeakers- (Gone Too- Soon)

Furever my love

Purred: Sun Oct 1, '06 10:24am PST 
I had a dental in May. Actually, May 23 - Mommy's birthday. I had four teeth extracted. They told Mommy to give me wet food for a few days and then try mixing it with my dry food after that, and I was also on meds for two weeks. I'm sure I was in a lot of pain when the anesthesia wore off, but I just cuddled up to Mommy, then she had the nerve to go out for her birthday! Hmmph! She didn't really want to leave me though cuz I was still groggy. I'm not sure how it was when I started eating dry food again, but it didn't stop me from eating. Until a month later when I got that stupid stomach virus. . . but I'm positive it wasn't caused by the dental!
[notify]

Emmett McGee- 4/15/94- 9/3/08

Outta My Way.

Purred: Sun Oct 1, '06 3:56pm PST 
I was eating heartily within 24 hours after I had my last (sigh) tooth extracted. In retrospect, Mom thinks it had been bothering me for a while but she didn't know it was still in there -- thought they had all come out. Good luck, and I hope you feel well very soon.
[notify]

Arthur (Miss- You!- '93-'09)

Bucket of Fuzz

Purred: Sun Oct 1, '06 6:01pm PST 
Thanks for the info, everycat!

I'm going in on Friday for a cleaning and probable extraction. The vet didn't say anything about taking antibiotics beforehand. Do you think we should ask?

I'm not sure which teeth he's going to take. He says one for sure, I think it was one of the back upper ones. Then he says there's another one that might need to come out, I think a lower canine.

My mom's worried because she works a lot and if she leaves out wet food for me, the other cats will eat it. And after healing, do the gaps make it hard to eat dry food?

Nigel ~Angel- DB #41b

11 pounds of- pure love!

Purred: Sun Oct 1, '06 8:07pm PST 
Hi Arthur! When I had my dental, one of my teeth fell out during the cleaning, but Meowmie and dad weren't told which one it was. I didn't have any problems though.

Purrs and headbutts,
Nigel

Hannah♥- ;

My Heart Is True

Purred: Sun Oct 1, '06 8:24pm PST 
First, to Hunter, actually it's Lucy who has the problem, but it's not that, it's something like esophileoma? (that's probably not quite it)

and Arthur, yes, I would ask about beginning the antibiotics early, our vet is very keen on that. Also, Lucy has only 4 teeth left now, but she eats just fine, wet or dry. The only thing mom doesn't give her is the dental diet, because the pieces are very large, to force us to break them up and clean our teeth. Good Luck Hon
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2