GO!

How long can a CAT stay home alone

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
SheaBudda

Queen of- Apartment 3B

Purred: Fri Jul 21, '06 6:22am PST 
Hello Catster- I was wondering how long can a cat stay home alone?

My dad has to go out of town over the weekend (saturday and Sunday)

I don't like I want to travel so I will be home alone for 2 days..

Has anyone else every stayed home for 2 days alone..?

I guess I will ahve total run of the house and be able to sleep in his bed, but I will so alone..

HELP my feline friends???????
[notify]

Hunter

Lazy, Lazy, Lazy

Purred: Fri Jul 21, '06 7:54am PST 
You should have someone come and check on you at least once a day. Food, water, clean the litter box, give you some love and attention. They can make sure you have kept yourself out of trouble. They can make sure you aren't sick or injured. Have a neighbor pop in and check on you. It's much safer than staying home lone the whole time.
[notify]

Loki

my Fluffernutter

Purred: Fri Jul 21, '06 8:00am PST 
is there someone you could trust?. I have a friend who checks in on my Loki once a day when i'm away just to top up their food bowl, scoop their litter tray, play with him etc...,

personally I couldn't leave him alone for 2 days..

Edited by author Fri Jul 21, '06 9:16am PST

[notify]

vasia

wepon

Purred: Fri Jul 21, '06 10:00am PST 
the cat can not stay at home to long he might stay a day or two but the day before you live hiom give him a lot of food and water so it would last.That is what I reccomend you to do.
[notify]

Orca The- Killer- Kitten

It's a tux thing

Purred: Fri Jul 21, '06 10:55am PST 
I agree with hunter. Even if you have a self feeding food and water bowl and plenty of food for two days you really need to have someone come in and check on you every day. Maybe a neighbor you can trust or pet sitters are not that expensive. My family got one and they came in twice a day and also cleaned my litter, watered the plants, brought in the paper and the mail and played with me. We cats are pretty independent and not like dogs who need a lot of attention all the time. But we do notice when our servants are not around and can get bored. So it is best to have someone check in at least once a day to make sure there is enough food and water, that we haven't been too naughty or haven't suddenly became sick.
[notify]

Beatrice- (Miss You!- '94-'12)

The very Beast- of all

Purred: Sun Jul 23, '06 12:41am PST 
Our mom has left us alone with lots of extra food and water put out for up to 2 days/3 nights. We have a 5L waterer that's always still half full by the time she gets back.

If she has to be gone longer than that, there is a professional pet sitter that comes to check on us. She's really nice--we like her a lot!

Smokey

"SURVIVOR"

Purred: Sun Jul 23, '06 3:50am PST 
Mommy is planning a get away for 5 nights and 6 days. I need medicine twice a day. She is planning on medicating me before she leaves, then my siblings and I will be alone for about 24 hrs & I will miss a med dose but the vet said it is ok. A family friend is going to chk on us twice a day to make sure I get my medicine, have fresh water and food and clean our litter boxes. We are attention craving cats and even when mommy is working a 16 hr shift we get anxious. We manage but its good to know that someone we like will be caring for us while mommy is gone. I suggest your vet contact info is left just in case of an emergency and any special instructions for example me and my meds. Good luck
[notify]

Punkin

Lizard Hunter- Extraordinaire

Purred: Sun Jul 23, '06 6:05am PST 
Personally, Momma and dad refuse to leave me alone for more than a typical work day. Too much chance of something happening, like a fire in our apartment building. I've had two cat sitters since I adopted them and so far, I like Stephanie best. Momma says that it's worth the money, since she doesn't have to worry about me while she's away.
[notify]

Donny the Astro-Kitty

My heart is- broke.

Purred: Mon Jul 24, '06 11:06am PST 
My mommy and daddy have never had problems leaving us alone for two days. They make sure there are TONS and TONS of water and dry food, and goes around the house securing things to make sure we don't get into any trouble. More than that though, they arrange for friend to come in, not so much to feed and water us, since we always have plenty of both, but basically to come and pay us attention and play with us!
[notify]

Emmett McGee- 4/15/94- 9/3/08

Outta My Way.

Purred: Mon Jul 24, '06 5:17pm PST 
My human won't leave me alone for more than one overnight. After that she'll have someone come in and look in on me once or twice a day, make sure I have food and water (which I always do, 'cause like most of you, she leaves TONS of food and water), and throw around a toy or give me some catnip. Even so, I still get very bored and greet my humans with tons of head-butting and purring when they get home.

I will say that this is the ideal situation, and if you're really in a bind you can probably leave them for a couple of days, but anything more than that and you are risking that a health problem could arise that needs immediate treatment, and your cat could face serious consequences. Best to make nice with a neighbor or find a pet sitter you trust!
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2