GO!

Breathing fast!

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Lucy Beans

That's Ms. Kitty- To You! :)

Purred: Sat Jul 1, '06 1:49pm PST 
Mommy just noticed while I'm laying next to her computer that's I'm breathing REALLY fast. She checked my tummy and it feels okay, my gums are light pink so it doesn't show lack of oxygen. It's hot out though...could this be why?
[notify]

Quasar -- In Loving- Memory

Triblet

Purred: Sat Jul 1, '06 2:00pm PST 
Keep a very very very close eye on your cat when she is breathing fast. If her gums go grey at all take her to the vet immediately!

I speak from no medical experience, only personal experience, but we lost 2 kittens to HCM (heart disease) and breathing fast was the first symptom.
[notify]

Puss-Cat-In- Loving- Memory

Who hath a- better friend- than a cat?

Purred: Sat Jul 1, '06 2:55pm PST 
My mummy is a vet tech and she said to pay attention to your cat until you determine that she is ok.

You need to be concerned if she begins to pant, cats don't pant!!! Panting is a very serious sign of respiratory distress. Contact your vet immediately if she displays panting.

Also remember cats being cats, they hide all signs of being sick until its often too late to treat the condition. Make sure she is still eating, drinking, using the litterbox, and still has normal amount of energy.

Edited by author Sat Jul 1, '06 2:57pm PST

[notify]

Lucy Beans

That's Ms. Kitty- To You! :)

Purred: Sat Jul 1, '06 3:47pm PST 
I seem all better now! I'm running around playing, pooping, eatting, and being me! Though mommy says I have panted in the past...can that be a sign?
[notify]

Puss-Cat-In- Loving- Memory

Who hath a- better friend- than a cat?

Purred: Sat Jul 1, '06 6:29pm PST 
You really only need to be concerned of panting in the moment or if it happens reqularly. Cats will pant if they are under alot of stress either physically or emotionally. It's a serious sign and what ever is causing the stress needs to be removed and the cat be placed in a quiet dark place to calm down.
[notify]

Aragorn (In- Memory)

One Cool Cat

Purred: Sat Jul 1, '06 6:30pm PST 
As a kitten, when I played very hard, I would pant. Mom asked my vet about it and he said that was OK. But after a few years we changed vets and the new vet found that I had a heart murmur. He believed that I was born that way. So I would have your vet check her over thoroughly.

Purrs . . . .

Zina - 6/10/2000 - 12/6/2006

can I go with- you, pleeeeease?

Purred: Mon Jul 3, '06 9:22am PST 
Lucy, I don't want to frighten your Mum, but after I saw what Quasar wrote, I feel the responsibility to warn you...
HCM (hypertrophic cardiomyopathy) is a sneaky illness. I was perfectly healthy and happy cat and it all changed in literally 5 minutes. I was never breathing fast, never even panting...
The blood clot from my heart let loose and ended up in my lower extremities' artheries. I ended up being paralized in my hind legs. My Daddy took me to the Vet, where they did ECG and ultrasound tests, only to confirm HCM. There wasn't much to be done for me. They tried all they could the next 2 days, but my condition didn't improve. I purred to them to let me go, I was in great pain. So they did... I left this world exactly 3 weeks ago.
Another thing Lucy, I see you are a longhaired breed, so was Quasar. This illness is hereditary, and longhair breeds are more susceptible to it than others. My Grandma was persian, so I must have gotten the "bad" gene from her.
My human Mum took my kitty-Mum and my sister for cardio-testing last Friday, to rule out HCM. Luckily their hearts and blood vessels show no abnormailities. What a relief!
So, if it's not too expensive, I would advise your Mum also to do so. Just to be sure. With HCM you never know you have it, until it's allready too late.
[notify]

Merlin

Mr. DeMille, I'm- ready for my- close up..

Purred: Mon Jul 3, '06 5:54pm PST 
It's always a good idea to get checked out, but some cats do indeed pant when then are hot. I don't do it often, but there have been a few occaisons where I started panting after a really strenuous play session where I was jumping a lot. I'm also a long haired cat.

This page has lots of good information:
http://www.petplace.com/cats/panting-in-cats/page1.aspx
[notify]

Zina - 6/10/2000 - 12/6/2006

can I go with- you, pleeeeease?

Purred: Tue Jul 4, '06 7:28am PST 
You are right Merlin, cats do pant, and it is absolutely nothing to worry about if it's due to heat exposure or above average activity. Every member of my family panted at some point, mainly when we were hot, but some of us after a really good fetch or chase game.
Panting becomes a problem when none of the above aspects are present. Then it should be taken seriousely, or at least a kitty should be observed closely.
My parents are asking themselves all sorts of questions - how didn't they notice that I was so ill... but I can tell you, I didn't show any of the symptoms (panting, breathing fast, etc) until it was too late. Even after they found out what's wrong with me, I didn't pant. I only purred, and purrred until the end to make them feel better.
Here is the link to learn something more about HCM:
http://maxshouse.com/hypertrophic_ cardiomyopathy.htm
[notify]

Hunter

Lazy, Lazy, Lazy

Purred: Tue Jul 4, '06 10:22am PST 
Panting in cats

http://www.petplace.com/cats/panting-in-cats/page1.aspx#

http://home.ivillage.com/pets/symsolve/0,,lk7w,00.html
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2