GO!

feline cutaneous asthenia (FCA)

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Zeus

Meoooooowwwwww!

Purred: Mon Jan 16, '06 3:34pm PST 
I have been recently diagnosed with FCA - a collagen defect in the skin. My vet has said that most cats are put to sleep for this disease because there are constant open wounds that can appear and must be treated by a vet as soon as it happens. Other than this disease I'm perfectly healthy and mom doesn't see the point in putting me to sleep. I was wondering if there are any other cats suffering from this rare disease also.
[notify]

Hattie

NaMeowSte

Purred: Mon Jan 16, '06 4:56pm PST 
Zeus, I'm so sorry to hear about this diagnosis. I don't have this condition, but I have had some "mystery" ailments that were very troubling and stumped the experts. It's great that your people are doing research - asking on Catster is a very good first step, and of course the rest of the internet can be very useful.

Also, please consider looking into alternate medicine. I have had good results with homeopathy, but there are also other "modalities" that might be helpful to you. It may be very different for your people, but when you're faced with the kind of diagnosis/recommendation you are, it's definitely worth checking out all the options!

Many purrs and warm wishes for your continued good spirits -- and for a happy, long life!
[notify]

Zeus

Meoooooowwwwww!

Purred: Mon Jan 16, '06 5:25pm PST 
Thank you Hattie, I will tell my mom to look into alternative methods. I've heard her say that if she had to cover the entire house in bubble wrap that she will do that. I'm really healthy otherwise and I've been a sweetheart through all of this surgery, the only thing that I don't like is that I may have to have all 4 paws declawed so that I don't scratch too hard and mom isn't happy about that but she wants me safe so we'll see what happens.

My mom has been researching all day and was able to find a sight that also suggested natural remedies and supplements that will help keep my skin strong but she wants to talk it over with the vet first.

Thank you again for your feed back and suggestions and hopefully I will be able to find kitties just like me that have been living with FCA.
[notify]

KILA IS AN- ANGEL KITTY- NOW

THE LAP IS MINE,- ALL MINE!

Purred: Mon Jan 16, '06 5:34pm PST 
Poor little Zeus...we are so sad that you are having such a hard time. You'll still look just as handsome with only part of a tail!! It probably is a good idea that you have your claws removed but you will also have to be careful to not fight or play rough with the other cats since they could tear your skin too. And keep away from those dogs! Sounds like your mom is doing all she can for you and we certainly agree that you should not be put to sleep - we're sure things can be arranged so that you are safe. We're purring really hard for you. Hang in there - you're going to be fine. Signed, Kila, Jackson and Oliver
[notify]

Other posts by this user

Purred: Mon Jan 16, '06 7:08pm PST 
I used to know a kitty who had this (his mom called him"Horrible Headwound Harry") If I recall correctly--it has been sometime since I spoke to his mom--Harry was not declawed, but he did wear a sock around his neck to prevent him from accidentally hurting himself. Harry's mom did have to keep on her toes and alert folks (like the nice new tech at the vet's office who only meant to brush out a matt...) that Harry had very delicate skin, so people were extra gentle handling him.

As I recall, it was liver disease that did Harry in, but I don't know what the source of that disease was.

There is a website http://www.handicappedpets.com that specialize in all sorts of things, including body suits for pets--your mom may want to look into something like this to keep you protected (it would be easier, though less fun, than bubble wrap)
[notify]

Zeus

Meoooooowwwwww!

Purred: Mon Jan 16, '06 8:41pm PST 
Thank you Kiko for your response, I will have my mom look into those pet suits. My skin around my neck does become irritated easily so that may be a route for us to take.

I don't believe liver disease is a condition of this disease either but it is a good question to ask the Doc.

Thanks again!
[notify]

Zeus

Meoooooowwwwww!

Purred: Fri Jan 20, '06 2:42pm PST 
Good news! I'm finally home! Mom and Dad picked me up today after my 8 day hospital stay. I'm so glad to be able to lay on my couch. The first thing I did when I got home was curl up in my Mom's lap and took a 2 hour nap. My paws are sore but I'll be ok in a few days and plus the vet has given mom some pain meds for me. My other wounds from my skin condition are all stitched and some are healed so they don't hurt anymore. I should be all healed by Easter hopefully. I'll keep everyone posted.
[notify]

KILA IS AN- ANGEL KITTY- NOW

THE LAP IS MINE,- ALL MINE!

Purred: Fri Jan 20, '06 10:18pm PST 
Hi Zeus! We're so glad you are finally home. Be a good kitty and do everything your mom says so that you can feel all better. We are purrrrrrrrrring for you every day. Kila, Jackson, and Oliver
[notify]

Jordan

Devilish- Darling!

Purred: Sat Jan 21, '06 1:28am PST 
Hi Zeus,

Yes I suffer from skin disease and know all to well what its like, sometimes I get some terrible sores and they can get really itchy, all i wanna do is lick them to try and fix them up but I am told that it makes it worse. I have tried a number of different medications and some do help but I will never be free from my skin disease, its part of my life now.
Have you tried elimination diets? this might help.

Good luck
Jordan
[notify]

Zeus

Meoooooowwwwww!

Purred: Sun Jan 22, '06 10:14am PST 
Hi Jordan,

It's terrible having a skin disease isn't it? Mom said that the doc said that I can't play with my brother Ollie anymore and that makes me really sad. I have to be crated a night so that I can't injure myself. What is this elimination diet you talk about? My mom has never heard of it. Right now I'm on antibiotics, vitamin C and an oil vitamin and then there are 2 topical treatments mom puts on me. I hate it but I'm good.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2