GO!

Litter Box issues

This is a place to gain some understanding of cat behavior and to assist people in training their cats and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers...not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Athena

Disabled and- Mighty

Purred: Thu Sep 8, '16 10:05pm PST 
Ok so here it goes. Poop, poop, poop....all over the floor. I have a cat who is almost 8 years old and I've had her since she was 6 months old. Never had an issue with her and the litter box, EVER. Beginning of the year, she started having issues with throwing up, diarrhea and her asthma seemed to be getting worse. Took her to the vet, found out that she has stomatitis. Vet gave her a round of antibiotics and steriods. Had to go back 2 months later for more issues. Gave her another round of antibiotics and steroids, this time it worked and she has been doing well. I found out that her asthma was flared by the cat litter, so I changed it to a natural cat litter along with changing her food to "No Grain." She didn't have an issue with the new litter and she uses it. For about 2 1/2 months now, she has been pooping on the floor. At first I thought it was medical, it's not. We started watching her more closely and we've noticed that when we're watching her, she will stop midst in her tracks and use the litter box. If we don't, it's on the floor. I don't know what to do anymore.... I don't have the heart to get rid of her (I don't want to either!!). Has anyone else had this issue and what have you done that (possibly) corrected it? Any suggestions would be appreciated! kitty
[notify]

Monster

It's all about- me.

Purred: Tue Sep 27, '16 12:08pm PST 
Throwing up and diarrhea are classic symptoms of inflammatory bowel disease. If that's when her behavior started, it could have been that she was associating pain with the litter box and was avoiding the box thinking that would solve the pain. Talk to your vet about IBD. Also check out ibdkitties.net - excellent website for cats with this disease. The other possibility is that she is suffering from anxiety. Ask the vet about putting her on a short course of anti-anxiety meds while you retrain her to use the box
[notify]

Mr D - D'boat #19

Yikes!

Purred: Thu Jan 26, '17 12:53am PST 
I have no idea, I hope you managed to get it sorted. Many purrs from our family
[notify]