GO!

Having some problems with 5 month old kitten vs 9 week old kitten

This is a place to gain some understanding of cat behavior and to assist people in training their cats and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers...not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Jinx

Purred: Mon Oct 14, '13 4:40pm PST 
My husband and I decided to get another kitten and got Jinx (no clue on her breed). Anyway my poms love her but Liriel is acting weird. She guards the kitter box and we had to buy a second one and put it in a different room. And she's way too rough. Shes not hissing or meowing, but she tackles Jinx and starts biting the back of her neck and tries to sit on top of her. The kitten screams and Liriel won't stop so we intervene and shoo Liriel away. And Liriel gets obsessed with the kitten and will meow and cry when we put Jinx in a seperate room from her. I just don't get her behavior. I can't tell if she's playing or trying to kill Jinx.
Sometimes though Liriel will try to clean Jinx, Jinx will hiss, then Liriel will bite or paw at her. It's only been two days of Jinx being here but I'm worried and not sure whats normal.

I am going to continue to keep Jinx wherever I go, but how can I get Liriel used to her or how can I appropriately stop her from playing so rough.

Thank you!
[notify]

Shannara

Biscuit Maker

Purred: Tue Oct 15, '13 11:02pm PST 
It's possible that Liriel has been away from other kittens long enough to forget how to play nicely and Jinx is too small to be able to play at Liriel's level. Also, getting on top of Jinx is Liriel's way of showing dominance. Keep them separated when you're not around to supervise and perhaps separate them in two rooms with a baby gate so they can see each other and even play without Liriel overpowering Jinx. It's only been a few days, so it's all new to both of them. Liriel may settle down and hopefully become "big sister" to Jinx.

Also, if Liriel isn't spayed, she needs to be. That would be a reason she is guarding the litterbox.

Felix

mon petit chat- noir

Purred: Mon Oct 21, '13 2:43pm PST 
I agree with Shannara - patience is key here. Sometimes Smitty will do that with Felix, I think it is trying to show "I am boss" Seriously, before you know it, the little one will be able to stand up for herself. It is just scary when they are so small. Having more than 1 litter box is best - you do not want Jinx to be afraid to go potty, that can cause a whole other issue.
[notify]