GO!

Older cat spending more time by herself

This is a place to gain some understanding of cat behavior and to assist people in training their cats and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers...not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Fang

Mistress of- Chaos

Purred: Sat Oct 12, '13 3:26am PST 
Fang will be ten in spring. She used to hang out with us all the time and sleep in my bedroom in a cat bed under the bed, or sleep on the bed if we weren't in it. Nowadays I see her only occasionally; she is spending more of her time sleeping in an old dog bed in the basement. I had moved her box and her food into the basement, so perhaps that's part of the reason. Or she might just be sleeping more and wants to be somewhere quiet . . . no signs that she is sick although now I see her so occasionally that I'm afraid that I would miss them. She had a vet visit this summer and everything was OK. I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who has seen this in their cat.
[notify]

Kaci- Sunshine - Beloved- Angel

Sugar 'n Spice

Purred: Sat Oct 12, '13 9:36am PST 
Even though Fang saw the vet during the summer, things can change quickly in cats, even in a few months. That happened to me. In June 2010, my kidneys were normal. In October 2010, I was diagnosed with kidney disease. Sometimes cats will have no clear-cut symptoms until a disease is well progressed. IMO, her drastic change in behavior by hiding in the basement, away from her family, signals that something is wrong.

I'd definitely schedule a vet visit ASAP and ask for full blood work (and a urinalysis).

Purrs!
[notify]

Fang

Mistress of- Chaos

Purred: Sat Oct 12, '13 3:45pm PST 
Thanks. Better safe than sorry.
[notify]