GO!

Biting

This is a place to gain some understanding of cat behavior and to assist people in training their cats and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers...not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Frankenstein

Purred: Tue Apr 2, '13 5:02pm PST 
We adopted a young cat (about 9 months old) about two weeks ago. In the last few days he's been trying to bite alot. At first it was just when we were playing but now he is jumping into the bed and just attacking. I don't know if he thinks that he is playing or what but I'd like to stop it. Any suggestions?
[notify]

Beep

Butt-kicker of- all other cats

Purred: Tue Apr 2, '13 9:03pm PST 
I love his name! So cute! I think what happened is that you were playing with him at first, and he has gotten used to it and now he is trying to initiate it with you. My 19 year old daughter, I tried to tell her not to do this very thing with her kitten, and she rough plays with him. Now she is getting torn up by him, he is about 9 months old and it's not so cute anymore. Does he have a scratch post to scratch on? If he starts to attack you, put him on the post and show him where he is allowed to scratch. Give him a firm NO when he starts to bite or scratch you....even if he is just playing, he has to learn that he may not play in this manner with you. Buy him some toys so that he has something to take his aggression out on in stead of you. Give him a paper bag to play in, a cardboard box. He is probably getting bored and looking to you for fun. They can be taught the meaning of NO pretty easily. They are just like toddlers, they take time to learn this and you have to be consistent with them.
[notify]