GO!

I have bit of an odd situation? (litter box)

This is a place to gain some understanding of cat behavior and to assist people in training their cats and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers...not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Purred: Wed Jan 16, '13 7:48am PST 
So, I keep the litter box in the storage room as thats the only place to have it due to a child we have roaming the house and we don't want her getting into it. This is also where I keep my kitten at night or when we are unable to have her out(poor thing gets chased by said child) I've been wanting to move her to my room completely but I've had her spend nights in my room before. My issue is that she doesn't use her litter box all night, she doesn't use the restroom whatsoever not even accidents on the carpet. She has no problem using it in the storage room though! I'm scared once I try to keep her in my room any longer than 1 night that she won't be able to hold it and end up making messes. Is there a reason why she won't go in my room? Does she need more privacy? She knew it was there as I took her to it to show her, she even ran in and ran out at one point but not long enough to use it. So its not that she doesn't know its there. Keeping the door open for her to go elsewhere isn't much of an option because of the toddler. Has anyone else had a similar issue?
[notify]

Buddha

Purred: Mon Jan 28, '13 9:08pm PST 
You don't state the age of the kitten. If she's an older kitten, you can put up a baby gate across the bedroom door and across the storage room door so she can get in and out of those rooms freely.

Also sit and hold your kitten and show your toddler how to pet the kitty in a way the kitten likes. Get an interactive cat toy and show your toddler how to play with the kitten using the toy and let them have some play time together with the interactive toy with you supervising them. Young children should always be supervised by an adult when interacting with animals.

Your kitten simply may not have needed to use the litter pan the time you tried shutting her in your room all night. Often a cat sleeping on the bed with humans simply doesn't want to get up and leave its warm spot to go to the litter pan and will hold all night. Remember, in the storage room she was alone. Chances are if you shut your kitten in your bedroom by herself, she will use the litterpan in the bedroom if she has to.
[notify]

Purred: Wed Jan 30, '13 7:43pm PST 
Thanks for the reply! She's a 5 month old kitten that i've had since she was 4-5 weeks old when i found her outside. I don't know why i didn't think of a baby gate before. I'll have to save up for one, thanks for the suggestion!

I will try this the interactive cat toy idea but this child is very stubborn and doesn't listen very well, haha.

Also, the strange thing is that she's used the litter box in front of me a couple of times when I was in the storage room. I was shocked because i didn't think they liked people in the room. She comes home tomorrow from the vet (she was spayed today) and she will go straight to my room while she recovers so I'll see what happens.
[notify]