GO!

Peeing EVERYWHERE, ALL THE TIME, and for WHAT reason?? Heeellp...

This is a place to gain some understanding of cat behavior and to assist people in training their cats and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers...not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Attila the- Hun

Mommy? Mommy!- MOMMY!!

Purred: Thu Dec 6, '12 7:48am PST 
Hey Catster! It's been a while. I really need some insight because I'm losing my mind. Attila, for the last couple weeks, has been peeing on EVERYTHING. While still using his litter box for poop, he has chosen to urinate on the dog's bed, any cloth items on the floor, my purses and bags... Heck one night i accidentally knocked my pillow off the bed and come morning it was saturated. He does it right in front of me too! Besides the obvious reasons that this is a problem, I am super allergic to cat pee and I feel like I'm dying.

So it was never really uncommon for him to vindictively urinate every huge once in a while as a way to express his dissatisfaction with me (ie- telling him NO and shooing him, when I made him just an in-door cat, when we've moved, often if a guy was over...). He is sensitive and shows it. But this is excessive and I can't find a reason. The only things that have changed recently are these:

-The weather (I wonder if the cold bothers his leg)

-Right around the same time Attila discovered he could pry open the little trap door to the plumbing in our bathtub, Raider found out she could destroy toilet paper, so I began closing the bathroom door which has bothered him. He will stand on his hind legs and paw at the door knob, and whenever I go in there he comes running to try to get in.

-New bag of food

-I was seeing someone (but that ended a week ago)

...yeah I can't really think of anything else. While I was typing this he came over and started to pee right next to me. I ran him to the litter box where he scratched, squatted, and was there for a while but then dashed off and I don't see much pee. He's gone back in there three times now which is weird, and when he leaves it he dashes out. I clean it often and just recently scrubbed it down, but I'm going to do it again today.

I will take him to the vet if the problem persists, but because 99% of the time he's acting normal, looks great, and is still pooping where he's supposed to, I'm trying to troubleshoot first.

Thanks!
[notify]

Attila the- Hun

Mommy? Mommy!- MOMMY!!

Purred: Thu Dec 6, '12 7:51am PST 
...Wow he just went for it again and I yelled NO!! and he ran off, then jumped up on my bed and started to squat there. A lot of angry meowing but I got him off in time and now he's under it sulking. I'm at a loss and incredibly stressed out.
[notify]

Monster

It's all about- me.

Purred: Thu Dec 6, '12 8:38am PST 
He really needs to see a vet now to rule out any medical conditions. The first thing to think of when a problem like this begins is that there is a urinary problem - infection, inflammation, crystals - or kidney issues. If all of that is ruled out, then you can start thinking about it as a stress problem.
[notify]

Purred: Thu Dec 6, '12 8:56am PST 
Yes in order-you need the vet to make sure there are no physical causes, make sure the litter box is fresh, happy and private at all times and round up your cleaning supplies. Our Chii is a youngish senior citizen and totally obnoxious about her bathroom habits so we sympathize.

In the meantime, a book for any cat lover with edgy humor...look up "I Could Pee on That". It's a book full of short poems and hilarious
[notify]

Arthur

Purred: Thu Dec 6, '12 7:20pm PST 
If the vet rules out a physical problem, it is possible he is stressed--could you try a calming collar on him? As a last resort, do you think he would wear a diaper? I have used kitty diapers on a couple of my cats and it has solved the problem.
[notify]

Alex (sweet- angel girl)

Angel on a- mission!

Purred: Fri Dec 7, '12 2:26pm PST 
Cats usually urinate outside the box due to a health issue. I think a vet visit is in order. Even if he's otherwise acting normal.
[notify]

Ben

I fetch,- therefore I am.

Purred: Fri Dec 7, '12 2:51pm PST 
I would get him to the vet as soon as possible. The fact that he's squatting and not producing much urine is very worrisome. shock

Sending purrs, Attila! Keep us posted. hug

Attila the- Hun

Mommy? Mommy!- MOMMY!!

Purred: Sat Dec 8, '12 5:38pm PST 
Eek okay I haven't set up a vet down here yet but I'll look into that ASAP. Thanks everyone.
[notify]

Tigger

Knead softly &- carry a big purr

Purred: Sun Dec 9, '12 2:16pm PST 
When Tigger started blocking up, he was peeing smaller amounts, and then that morning, he was running frantic squatting & growling, and could not pee. The growling could be he is in pain. I would not hesitate, because if he is blocked he is in a great deal of pain, and it can cause death. Not to scare you, but if it is it is not something to take lightly. He could have been peeing in other spots because he hurts & is associating the litterbox with that pain. I surely hope that he is ok, and that he is not blocked.
[notify]

Ben

I fetch,- therefore I am.

Purred: Tue Dec 11, '12 10:26pm PST 
How are you doing Attila? Have you been able to get in to see a vet?
hug

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2