GO!

New kitten in the house

This is a place to gain some understanding of cat behavior and to assist people in training their cats and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers...not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Sully

Purred: Sun Dec 2, '12 6:15pm PST 
I'd been thinking of getting a second cat. I currently have a female, maybe 7-8 years old. I had intended on getting a young male but a friend got me in touch with someone who is looking for a home for a 6-7 month old female. They are actively looking for a good home for her and are willing to take her back if it doesn't work out.

They brought her over yesterday. She and my current cat were in the same room for several hours with Sully just occasionally hissing and growling at her. I moved the new kitten into the bedroom for the night with food, water and litter box. She's found herself a hiding pace under the bed where she obviously feels safe but I can still retrieve her from if need be.

I've decided to leave them separated for the time being. I'm a little concerned because it doesn't appear that the kitten is eating or using the litter box (though I'm not certain here. A cat obviously has used it but that might have been Sully). I'm not sure about drinking either. Should I worry or wait a while longer?
[notify]

Felix

mon petit chat- noir

Purred: Tue Dec 4, '12 11:45am PST 
I would keep them separated for a little while. She has a new home to adjust to, along with another kitty. Make sure she has what she needs, and keep visiting with her. She needs to get acquainted with you first before a big intro to another kitty.
[notify]