GO!

I bite! Why?

This is a place to gain some understanding of cat behavior and to assist people in training their cats and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers...not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Sherpa

Purred: Mon Nov 26, '12 6:53pm PST 
Sherpa bites. It's odd...he spends hours sitting contentedly in my lap each night while I'm at the computer. He purrs and purrs. Then he'll reach up and put his teeth on my chin. Or my arm. Or my cheek. Sometimes he just sets them there, sometimes he'll clamp down on me. Never hard enough to draw blood, but hard enough to make me uncomfortable.

Any ideas why he does this? I mean, I guess it's not the worst thing ever (except that his breath is never exactly rosy), but I'm curious as to what's going through his mind. He doesn't seem agitated or annoyed, he's relaxed and purring with a relaxed tail when he bites.

I can even tell when its about to happen sometimes. Since my husband pushes Sherpa's face away when he bites, he'll start to crane his neck towards my chin and then flinch like his face was pushed. He'll repeat that a couple of times, then bite.
[notify]

Hunter- *Dreamboat- #82*

Master of- Disaster!

Purred: Tue Nov 27, '12 3:43am PST 
Are you petting him while he is in your lap? Sometimes they just want to be left alone. I know my Hunter does this. The first sign I see is a flick of his tail. Then if I keep on petting him, he'll do what I call his "bite and hold" technique. Where he'll put his mouth around my hand/arm and just put enough pressure that I get annoyed with him. That is Hunters way of saying "Leave me alone!"

My Hanna used to do this too. She never bit my hand though. It was always my cheek or chin. She would just put her teeth on my cheek enough for me to realize she wants to be left alone. With her, I never had any warning signs. She was much more gently than Hunter.

Good Luck
[notify]