GO!

Anyone else clicker trick train?

This is a place to gain some understanding of cat behavior and to assist people in training their cats and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers...not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Miss Tiny- Burr Burr

Love and adore.

Purred: Sun Nov 18, '12 11:18pm PST 
After an argument with a friend about cats and dogs,i decided to train my 2 cats to sit. I wanted to prove that cats can learn tricks, they just have to be taught differently than dogs.

I used clicker training to teach Tiny and Angel to sit for a treat. I chose to use both hand and verbal cues. Prior to training, i have had my cats 'work' for treats with treat balls, puzzle boxes, and hiding treats on there cat trees. I took a video to prove the trick and many people could not believe i trained my cats to sit.

The cats loved training and it was interesting to me, so i decided to do more. I read in a few books to teach cats to follow a 'target stick' as a training tool. This is the method they use to train big cats and other wild animals. My target stick is a chop stick with pink duck tape at the end to make a ball. I worked with them over a few weeks to touch the target stick with there nose, and to jump up on things (chair, cat tree, ect) when i tap the area with the stick.

Next i taught Tiny to sit up while on the cat post or chair (Angel has yet to 'figure out' this trick)

the best trick so far is the "give Angel a kiss" trick. This was taught by luck. Since Tiny is the boss, she often grooms Angel on the head. during a training session, I caught them doing it.I said "give Angel a kiss" then clicked and treated them both. while they were still close i scratched angels head so she lowered it, said "give Angel a kiss" a few times, and Tiny did. Another treat. Tiny is extremely good at figuring out what i want of her. It helped that Angel lowers her head when i pet her, so it was like she was presenting her head for Tiny to groom.

Does anyone else trick train? I am still working on more tricks.
[notify]

Emma

Purred: Sat Nov 24, '12 7:22pm PST 
Hey i have a service cat...she is eight years old. she can sit on command come when she is called open doors and use the toilet. i didnt use clicker training i just used treats...once she knew how to do what i wanted her to do i use voice praise. she is very smart this summer i taught her how to walk on a leash outside. she goes to malls on buses she is awesome in the car...she gets herself in and out of the car from her stroller...
[notify]