GO!

Introducing my kitten to a two year old Shih Tzu.

This is a place to gain some understanding of cat behavior and to assist people in training their cats and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers...not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Milo- Mohinder- McKay

Purred: Mon Nov 5, '12 9:52am PST 
Hi,

I just moved to California with my kitten Milo, Saturday to be exact. Him and I have moved around a lot since I've had him, with the whole packing and my boyfriend visiting, etc. Three different places in 3-4 months, he seems to always adjust fine, and here it's no different. He seems very happy and curious to explore this place, loves going outside, etc! Well, I tried to introduce our Shih Tzu living here and he didn't take to her very well. I took the advice of other people and gave him something of hers to smell, I tried to introduce them through a crack in the door and he nearly scratched her nose off. She is very calm and not hostile at all, if anyone is acting hostile, it's my kitten. My question to you all is how do I make this transition run smoother? I don't want to traumatize the poor dog, she's already afraid to come near the door now. I would love if they could co-exist together, they have the same personalities and I think they could get along very well.

Edited by author Mon Nov 5, '12 9:54am PST

[notify]

Slyvy

I will rule the- world right- after a nap

Purred: Mon Nov 5, '12 12:00pm PST 
Sometimes the cat just needs to express displeasure. Why Slyvy met Latif-parents dog- there was about 15 minutes of Latif looking at Slyvy, while Slyvy yowled and pranced around him.

After that they were ok together. So long as their not fighting I'd just let the kitten get his...whatever out.
[notify]

Milo- Mohinder- McKay

Purred: Wed Nov 7, '12 4:41pm PST 
Thanks for the advice! You are actually right.. today he has been much better. When they overcrowd him with too much, he'll hiss, but the growling has completely stopped. He sniffs them both and seems to feel comfortable enough to walk around with one of them being out. I think because she's not as excited or curious as the other dog, she's more of a keep-to-herself animal but doesn't mind his company either. Earlier today I took him outside for some quality time and as I was throwing a ball to this dog to fetch, he was running along next to her trying to fetch it as well. I just had never heard a kitten growl before, so it worried me that I wasn't introducing them properly at first.

Edited by author Wed Nov 7, '12 4:42pm PST

[notify]

Slyvy

I will rule the- world right- after a nap

Purred: Wed Nov 7, '12 5:19pm PST 
It's a controversial method but sometimes they need to get it out. Their upset, someone they don't know is in THEIR territory. THEIRS.
Like humans, they need to express that upset and once it's out....

It's not always true which is why you need to watch them while they do it and make sure it doesn't get violent.

Cats do growl, it's fairly common but does sound strange! Get him his own little toy to play fetch with too! Slyvy loves, loves, loves her catnip mousie. We'll play fetch for hours
[notify]