GO!

Window Aggression

This is a place to gain some understanding of cat behavior and to assist people in training their cats and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers...not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Midas

'cause his touch- is too much!

Purred: Thu Sep 27, '12 12:17pm PST 
So Midas has transitioned to being an indoor cat quite well. He uses the litterbox like a champ, sleeps through the night, and seems pretty happy. Lately though one of the neighbor's indoor/outdoor cats has been wandering over to our area and Midas can see him in the window. Midas loses his mind when he sees this cat. His tail puffs up, he makes this noise that is like a meow laced with venom, and is generally very agitated. I am worried that this could lead to marking or other unwanted destructive behaviors. Midas used to live with 6+ other cats, plus plenty of the neighbor's cats when he was back home with me and an indoor/outdoor cat. He would play with some, simply tolerate others, but I never saw him show aggression. I haven't been able to see if this cat is neutered, but with the window closed I am not sure how he could smell that. Wait, yes I do. We get ants, so I imagine there is some airflow.

Talking to the neighbors won't work because even if this cat is owned by someone, they already don't care about keeping him/her inside to prevent the cat from being eaten by coyotes. Keeping the blinds down isn't an option because he just goes behind them and wrecks them and since this is an apartment I would like some of my deposit back... Plus it would be awfully boring for him not to have windows to look through since he loves to watch the birds and people walk by. We aren't living in a cave... I have a video of his reaction if I can figure out how to post it.
[notify]

Miss Tiny- Burr Burr

Love and adore.

Purred: Thu Oct 18, '12 9:19pm PST 
I have the exact same problem. I live in an apartment also, bottom floor. The neighbor dumped his cats when he moved out, both tom cats. They have been prowling around my window, peeing on it, and making problems. Last night was the worst. I had my window open and i heard my cat spit and utter a low meow. before i could get to the window she had launched herself in attack. Somehow the screen held and she didnt go out the window. I looked outside and a big mean tom cat was head to head with my cat. Since these tom cats were former pets, they are not afraid of people. So i had to calm my cat down and get her out of the window. I went outside with a spray bottle and chased the tom off. Several times. He would NOT leave. My cats were about to have a heart attack.

The next time i went outside i noticed a little female cat by the tom. When i came up to her she ran...into the neighbors window! she had ripped the screen out to get to the Tom cat (im guessing she is in heat) and thats why the Tom cat wont leave. I knocked on the neighbors door but they were not home. I didn't know what else to do so i ended up having to shut my cats in the bathroom for the night. frown

My two cats are both spayed females, who get along good. However, when strange cats are around "their" window, they get upset and want to fight. My cat Tiny WOULD fight if she could get to the cats. They know when strange cats are not suppose to be there. Its really bad since the outside Tom cats feel that the outside is "theirs" and my cats feel that the window is "theirs" so when they come close both cats will not back down.

I understand why my cat does this (along with the awful noises she makes) but im not sure how to fix it. Since i live in an apartment, i can't alter the outside in anyway, nor can i put up any sprays. I am trying to talk the landlord into TNR for the Toms, but that wont help the owned pet cats that people have here. some let them outside and others are stupid and leave all there windows open with a female in heat. Im at a loss.

Maybe if i can talk the landlord into putting up flyers that we are going to live trap cats, it might scare the owners into keeping them inside (obviously all im going to do is get them fixed and put them back outside) or maybe it wont.

Im not sure. Maybe TNR is my only hope. Im hoping once fixed they wont be wanting to fight so much over my window. But on the other hand, my two cats are fixed. i just dont know.
confused
[notify]

Tigger

Knead softly &- carry a big purr

Purred: Sat Oct 20, '12 2:06pm PST 
they have a spray type can that has a sensor. When a cat comes in that area, it sprays a shot of compressed air to startle the cat away. That would prob be the best bet to try. Won't hurt the kitty, and will discourage him from parading in front of the window to antagonize Midas. This would prob work for Tiny house too!
[notify]

Midas

Purred: Sun Oct 21, '12 3:47pm PST 
Unfortunately I am in a college community, where I have unneutered pitbulls on either side of my house, people coming and going drunk all the time, and trash everywhere. If I were to put one of those sprayers outside it would get stolen or destroyed. So far I have been encouraging Midas to sit at the back window. Though I have seen this cat in the backyard, I have had my dogs (all 4lbs of them!) chase him from the yard enough that he doesn't come back there anymore. I have a bird feeder that attracts about 15-30 birds a day and will be getting a window perch for him soon so it is more comfortable for him to sleep in the sunny sill. The backyard is easier to control because there is a lock on the gate, though I still did get the cheapest bird feeder ($4) because I am sure it is only a matter of time before a person hops the fence. Also, I can't remember if I posted this in my fist post, but thankfully Midas is locked in my room while I am away, so I think this outdoor cat is learning that he might get a rise out of Midas, but then that crazy lady comes running out with a broom. Goodness, I wonder what the neighbors think of me!
[notify]

Midas

Purred: Sun Oct 21, '12 3:47pm PST 
Unfortunately I am in a college community, where I have unneutered pitbulls on either side of my house, people coming and going drunk all the time, and trash everywhere. If I were to put one of those sprayers outside it would get stolen or destroyed. So far I have been encouraging Midas to sit at the back window. Though I have seen this cat in the backyard, I have had my dogs (all 4lbs of them!) chase him from the yard enough that he doesn't come back there anymore. I have a bird feeder that attracts about 15-30 birds a day and will be getting a window perch for him soon so it is more comfortable for him to sleep in the sunny sill. The backyard is easier to control because there is a lock on the gate, though I still did get the cheapest bird feeder ($4) because I am sure it is only a matter of time before a person hops the fence. Also, I can't remember if I posted this in my fist post, but thankfully Midas is locked in my room while I am away, so I think this outdoor cat is learning that he might get a rise out of Midas, but then that crazy lady comes running out with a broom. Goodness, I wonder what the neighbors think of me!
[notify]