GO!

dealing with the other cats during introduction of newbie

This is a place to gain some understanding of cat behavior and to assist people in training their cats and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers...not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Solomon

The Purrmaster

Purred: Thu Aug 30, '12 6:07pm PST 
I'm THISCLOSE to adopting a female kitty and bringing her home to my 2 male cats....but am nervous and have a question about how to deal with my other cats' emotions during the first few days. I know they will be wondering what's going on even tho I'll have the new girl isolated. More importantly, how do I deal with my cats' feelings toward me? I know they'll be able to smell her scent on me from interacting with her, and may hate me or avoid me. How do I show them that they're still special to me??
[notify]

Tigger

Knead softly &- carry a big purr

Purred: Sat Sep 1, '12 2:42pm PST 
give them extra attention. I just did this, and it worked pretty well. Tigger was a bit ticked off but I got a Feliway & it really helped chill things areound here. Now it is fine. But I make sure that Tigger gets his food first, and I give him attention with Felix in the room. They need to know that they are not forgotten. Good luck with your new kitty!
[notify]