GO!

Kitty keeps knocking over the trash?

This is a place to gain some understanding of cat behavior and to assist people in training their cats and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers...not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Purred: Fri Aug 24, '12 10:25am PST 
I have a kitten named Stitch, and she keeps knocking over the wastebasket in my room. At first I thought she was trying to eat out of it, but it turns out she just likes to play with the bits of trash. The problem is it makes a huge mess, and when I go to clean it up, she just pulls everything right back out! The only thing I can think of is putting it away where she can't reach it; but I'd much rather keep on hand. Any ideas?
[notify]

Monster

It's all about- me.

Purred: Fri Aug 24, '12 12:00pm PST 
You could try elevating it so she doesn't have easy access to it, and keep lots of toys on the floor or hanging from doorknobs, etc., to entertain her. She'll eventually lose interest in the trash can when she's older.
[notify]

Purred: Fri Aug 24, '12 2:01pm PST 
That's a good idea, I'll give it a try! Thank you.
I'm not sure it will work though, Stitch is a wizard when it comes to climbing. She once scaled the side of the fridge to get a pencil that had a pompom on top.
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Sat Aug 25, '12 5:27am PST 
How about using a trash can with a secure lid? Like a small step-on type? If the trash can is knocked over, the stuff inside won't spill out.
[notify]

Purred: Mon Aug 27, '12 8:30am PST 
Ooh, that's a really good idea, thank you!
[notify]