GO!

For those of you who have had their cats since they were kittens...

This is a place to gain some understanding of cat behavior and to assist people in training their cats and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers...not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Ollie

Purred: Fri Aug 24, '12 9:00am PST 
I was wondering how much their behaviour has changed since they were kittens? I just got a kitten, he is my first pet and I just want to hear some other stories about having a kitten and watching it turn into a grown up smile
[notify]

Mac (Angel)

Purred: Sat Aug 25, '12 5:38am PST 
I'm not sure that they change much at all, they do calm down as they get older (thank god!) but my cats still like to play and snuggle like they did when they were kittens. My angel cat Ludo was hand reared and was always a cuddler, that never changed, Winnie was independant as a kitten, only being touched when she wanted...that never changed either.
I guess we change our lives around them and not them around us!
Ollie is gorgeous, i hope you have many, many years of happiness ahead of you
xxx

Edited by author Sat Aug 25, '12 5:38am PST

[notify]

Irma Thomas

Purred: Sat Aug 25, '12 6:26am PST 
Welcome to the wonderful world of being owned by a cat, and to CATSTER. Someone here is always ready with answers to your questions, advice, and sympathy when a beloved pet goes to the Rainbow Bridge.

I have had most of mine since they were kittens. As the previous poster said, they basically sort of calm down, but all of mine still get the "Kitten Friskes" and run all over the house (and make me laugh). Every cat has a different personality, as every other person here on CATSTER will tell you. And that is what makes them such great pets, just watching their personalities develop. A Friends Request is on the way to you.

The New Orleans Kittieswavecheer
[notify]

Gizmo

Purred: Sat Sep 1, '12 1:58pm PST 
Welcome! I have noticed a few changes but none of hem have been negative, our one year old Batfink was always a bit independant, and even more so now, he comes to us for affection on his terms now, and usually spends his time cuddled up somewhere out of sight, hes still a happy and playful cat but only when he so choses! Our 5month Kitten Gizmo, is the bravest most outgoing most affectionate most playful cat i have ever known, hes spends half his day either on my lap, in my face, cleaning my nose or following me about inspecting everything i do or touch, we recently bought him a laser pointer toy which is really hilarious! We rescued a 10yr old female last year and her personality has taken a while to shine through, her trust has taken time, but she has settled in well now as the queen of the kitties.
I think a cats personality would only differ if there was a great change or event that may trigger it, in a loving stable forever home they usually just calm down a bit more and always...love you a bit more...hope you and kitty are well xx
[notify]

Felix

mon petit chat- noir

Purred: Sat Sep 1, '12 2:39pm PST 
I would say mine are all the same, just matured. They do not play quite as much, but every day it is like a herd of horses running up & down the stairs. Now I have had Felix for a few weeks, and I have seen him blossom from being scared to one of the sweetest kitties. cat on moon
[notify]

♥Sam

Purred: Sun Sep 2, '12 3:41pm PST 
I reckon they do. The kitty's we have, have gone through fazes.laugh out loud from kitten to 1 - 1.5 years they are sweet and you can do anything with them. 2 - 6 years seem to be the human’s teenage years where they are more independent and aloof. Then after 6 they start to become more affectionate again. The young ones here are starting to get more smoochy now, and they have just ticked over the 6 year mark. Balty did it all too.
[notify]

Church

I'm a model!

Purred: Sun Sep 2, '12 4:40pm PST 
I've had 6 cats since kittens. Church and Roxy grew up together from kittens, and I have 4 who were littermates. All of them similarly when they grew up, didn't like to play as much or like to cuddle as much as when they were kittens. They also no longer play with each other really anymore.

The 4 who were littermates no longer like to share, when they were kittens they would all climb on me at once and cuddle, and would sleep together in a pile when they were younger but now they don't want to share my lap at the same time and usually don't sleep next to each other either.

Edited by author Sun Sep 2, '12 4:41pm PST

[notify]

Stella

Stella- Felinis--Queen- of All Kitties!

Purred: Sun Sep 2, '12 9:38pm PST 
It's Stella. As Sam says, cats do all of their growing and most of their learning by the time they are 2 years old, with much of that before age 1. If you want the kitty to learn something or un-learn something, this is the time. You should spend time with the kitty to play with him/her, make him understand that you are the person to play with, so that the kitty does not become too reclusive. As they get older, they spend more time sleeping and on their own, so you need to show them that they can be around you comfortably, instead of hiding under beds or in even more inaccessible places. We have one cat that we often cannot find for most of the day, so that is not what most people want.

We did have one cat who turned from a very playful kitten to a big sleeping lump after she got spayed and got older. It turned out that she had very bad kidneys, was born with defective kidneys and they got worse, so she had low energy level. If your cat becomes really sedentary after being fixed, check with your vet to make sure there is not some health reason. You may have to work harder to get the cat to play as s/he gets older, too.
[notify]

Toast

Watch out for- evil kitty ears!

Purred: Sat Sep 15, '12 7:15am PST 
My experience is that every habit you make with your kitten will change little habits in them when they're older. For example, I carried Toast around everywhere and picked him up the second I got home... now he comes over to be picked up immediately and if I don't do it right away he's offended. I use to put him on my chest while I was reading when he was little and now when he sees me reading he'll come onto my chest (he's bigger now, so he tends to block my view, but oh well!). When he's scared he hides with his head under my chin/hair because I sheltered him there when he was a kitten. It's all the little things!

I made sure nobody played rough with him and introduced him to as many weird things as possible in the early years (dogs, other cats, nail clipping, etc.) and now he's a very well rounded (if needy) cat. big grin Although he's only a year old, so he's still a bit immature, but it's cool to see all the little things that shape his habits and personality!

EDIT: After thinking about the other posts in this form, I wonder if it makes a difference if the cat is an only cat to their behavior... I find Toast is very dependent on me but then he doesn't have other cats and at times doesn't even seem to know he's a cat at all!

Edited by author Sat Sep 15, '12 7:19am PST

[notify]

Shadow

See this belly?- Bet you wanna- rub it?

Purred: Sat Sep 15, '12 1:14pm PST 
I've had Shadow and Phantom since they were kittens. They both were a lot more cuddly back then. Shadow used to sleep in my arms and they both cuddled up on our pillows at night. Now they hate being picked up and will only sometimes come on the bed with us. It's fine to pet them and give them scratches, but don't pick them up. lol. They're about 18 months old now. Pretty much teenagers and I guess they have the same teenage attitude my human teenagers do.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2