GO!

Kittens rushing the door

This is a place to gain some understanding of cat behavior and to assist people in training their cats and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers...not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Casper

Purred: Wed Jun 6, '12 12:12pm PST 
My sister, Abby, and I are 13 weeks old. We have lived with our new family for almost two months. We stay in 'the kitten room', separated from the adult cats because our two 'aunties' still hiss and growl at us.

When we were younger, we would rush the door whenever our humans would open the door to come in. Mama put a baby gate across the doorway, but we learned to climb that really fast. Now mama leaves the door to the room open and there are baby gates stacked floor-to-ceiling in the hallway so we can see more of what's going on in the rest of the house and the big cats can see us more, and hopefully get more used to us. Whenever our humans come to the baby gates, we rush the gates, climbing and trying to get out. Mama says she doesn't want us to get out yet. She says she's 99% sure that our buddy Demon wouldn't do anything to hurt us, she's not sure about our Angel and Gidget since they still sometimes hiss and growl at us through the gates. Abby weighs just over 2# and Angel weighs 17# (mama says it's an unfair match-up). Also, mama says part of our house isn't 'kitten proofed' yet. We just get lonely and are excited to see our new family, and we just want to explore the rest of the house and play with our buddy Demon (who comes in to play with us every day).

Using the laser pointer sometimes works, but not all the time (we're onto her). Mama thinks there should be a way to keep us from rushing the baby gates and trying to escape whenever they are opened, something that doesn't involve squirting water at us and/or making loud noise (Abby is shy and skittish).

Can you help?
[notify]

Cowboy

The Battle Of- Texas 2010- Winner!

Purred: Wed Jun 6, '12 2:54pm PST 
I have show kittens, they are very well behaved and have manners, they will do, or not do, whatever I ask. They were trained, it took alot of patience and didn't happen overnight. They were taught to accept any situation, and to listen/yeild to me, in any situation, where they might get scared. It saved their lifes once.

Anything used, is a tool, to teach, sometimes one has to use the squirt bottle, better to learn it that way, than to not teach them, and they end up in a dangerous situation, or worse.

Be very glad to help you, but I do understand if you don't want to use the squirt bottle. I can stand there with the outside door, wide open, and they won;t come out, they were taught, so they wouldn;t get out and get hit by a car. If I tell them to stop, whatever, they are doing, they will, even if they got ahold of something, that could be detremental to their health.

Their training saved their little lifes. It was their first show, first show hotel, they were only 7 months old. Had not been there 5 min, had just let them out, to explore the room, when the fire alarm went off, they ran under the bed. What would you do?

I will tell you in the next post, give you something to think about. ((((((((((BIG HUGS)))))))))))))
[notify]