GO!

My Cat is Bullying my Dog!

This is a place to gain some understanding of cat behavior and to assist people in training their cats and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers...not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Toast

Watch out for- evil kitty ears!

Purred: Mon Jun 4, '12 10:10am PST 
Toast is 8 1/2 months now (I know, he's all grown up!), fixed, and fully adapted to my parent's house, as we're living there for the summer. We worried that our friendly husky/rottie Bennie would be an issue, but the issue is the other way around!

Long story short, Toast has been biting Bennie's ears hard enough to draw blood and make him yelp, for no reason. I've witnessed it. He also hits him in the face claws out. I've seen him do it claws in to his face and tail and that's okay, Bennie is never rough with him (though he chases him sometimes, this is never when he is bitten) and never even opens his mouth. When I witnessed it, it happened when my Mom pet Bennie while Toast was in her lap.

How can I correct this?! My poor dog is such a sweetie and both his ears are getting pretty torn up!
[notify]

Boulder

My mom works at- MARS Petcare US

Purred: Mon Jun 4, '12 7:06pm PST 
Cats can do things for various reasons. Always make sure you don't have any health problems going on. You may need to talk to your veterinarian about the behavior if it is too bad. From what you described it could be an issue of territory. Cats need a space to call their own. If he doesn't have a place to call his own away from Bennie he may be trying to find a place to call his. And some cats will play very rough and bite and claw, you can try products that go over his claws to keep him from scratching if he is strictly indoors. Again there are lots of reasons for the behavior. Sometimes observation to find a pattern can help find out the reason behind the behavior. Hope that helps. Keep us posted.
[notify]