GO!

Male trying to mate as early as 5mo?

This is a place to gain some understanding of cat behavior and to assist people in training their cats and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers...not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Ransom

If you're- playing with it,- it's mine

Purred: Fri May 18, '12 11:33pm PST 
This seems early to me, but I haven't had a tom in a long time. A bit ago Ransom who is 5mo tomcat was playing with Zelda 1yr fixed female. I turned away and looked back to find him on top of her, nape of her neck in his mouth..Zelda just stayed put letting him. Kinda caught me off guard as he just turned 5mo and has not started spraying. I'm waiting to 6mo to neuter. Could this be a sign to have it done sooner? Do male cats practice this before they hit puberty?
[notify]

Monster

It's all about- me.

Purred: Mon May 21, '12 10:21am PST 
It's also a dominance behavior. Regardless, your kitten is old enough to be neutered now - no need to wait until 6 months. Many vets are spaying/neuter kittens at 8 weeks old.
[notify]

Ransom

Purred: Mon May 21, '12 11:38pm PST 
doesn't neutering early stunt growth?
[notify]

Bumpurr

RESPECT The- Star!

Purred: Tue May 22, '12 3:53am PST 
Bump was neutered at 5 mo, does it look like his growth was stunted, MOL.
[notify]

Hunter- *Dreamboat- #82*

Master of- Disaster!

Purred: Tue May 22, '12 4:26am PST 
Hunter was neutered at 4 months old. I wanted it done early so he wouldn't spray. It didn't stunt his growth at all.

Hunter also gets on top of my Yorkshire Terrier. He does this as a sign of dominance. He doesn't try to mount her or anything, just kinda like "Bow down woman, I'm boss here!" He engulfs her. I look down and all I see is Hunter, then I have to look close and see Teaka's (my dog) head underneath him. Hes twice the size of her. wink
[notify]

Orange Ruffy

The Baboo Kitty- has Spoken!

Purred: Tue May 22, '12 6:54am PST 
Both my males are neutered and not kittens. Smokie on occasion does this to Ruffy, to Ruffy's immense annoyance. As Smokie is always feeling he must prove he's 'head cat' the dominance thing explains it.

Kittens can be netuered at 5 months and it won't make a difference in his growth at all!
[notify]

Ransom

Purred: Tue May 22, '12 9:53am PST 
Thanks for all your responses.

Bump is huge, what a beautiful cat..hope my baby boy gets that big. Growth was def not stunted in anyway. lol

Hunter - I am also worried about him spraying and keeping the habit after being fixed

Zelda punks him out all the time..guess he just trying to show her whos gonna be boss...or try to anyways. lol

Made a appointment for the 15th of June. Hope everything goes well.

Thank you!
[notify]

Rory

little red- biscuit head

Purred: Tue May 22, '12 9:59am PST 
I was neutered at 10 weeks--nope, not stunted. Get him done asap, some cats actually are fertile that early...
[notify]

Bodrouex

all you need is- love

Purred: Tue May 22, '12 10:00am PST 
And how does Rory know that??? Well, because of my bragging about the litter I sired at that age; it had to be me because no other boys were around, heh heh heh....
[notify]

Cowboy

The Battle Of- Texas 2010- Winner!

Purred: Tue May 22, '12 2:04pm PST 
I was neutered at 5 mos too, and I is a biggy boy, I weighs 13 lbs, and I ain't done growin yet, I is only 3 yrs old. Thats me, as a little tyke, in Bump's picture. We is biggy boys, cause our momma gaves us vita minys when we was little tykes, and we gets the special extra nutritious foodys, for red kitties, we has to stay ahead of Rory, and beaty him again, at Garden Statey, MOL.

Bodreux, does ya thinky ya could has a namey, I could spell???? wavebig laugheek

I finishy in the top 25 this season, right ats 25. Cruiser finishy at 23.

If ya bringy the big B, cause I cants spelly his namey, to Garden Statey, I will tells him, no pickey on Rory, cause we is good buds.

hugkissing
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2