GO!

Purrsonality change after move

This is a place to gain some understanding of cat behavior and to assist people in training their cats and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers...not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Patricia

The Old Lady

Purred: Sun May 13, '12 10:08am PST 
Have you ever seen a cat go through a big purrsonality change after moving to a new home?

That is exactly what happened to Patricia. The cat who loved carpet but hated rugs, slept on chairs more than beds every day, loved canned food, and enjoyed looking out the front window in Ohio moved to Florida with me. Now she completely ignores all of the chairs (the same chairs she slept on every day), loves rugs but not the carpet, has no interest in the front yard, and doesn't like canned food at all. She also meows when nobody is in the same room - a new behavior for her. Does amy of this make any sense?

Edited by author Sun May 13, '12 2:17pm PST

[notify]

Cruiser

Top 25 Winner- Region 1- 2011-2012

Purred: Mon May 14, '12 3:48am PST 
How old is she? How long was she in her home in OH? How long has she been in FL? How did she handle the move from OH to FL?
[notify]

Patricia

The Old Lady

Purred: Tue May 15, '12 11:16am PST 
Patricia will be 16 next month. Before the move in December she only knew one house her whole life - I adopted her when she was 7 weeks old.
[notify]

Monster

It's all about- me.

Purred: Tue May 15, '12 12:53pm PST 
She may be developing feline cognitive disorder - kitty dementia. It's not unusual in older kitties. They become disoriented and anxious. The meowing when she's alone is typical - suddenly she doesn't know where she is, she's scared, and is calling out. If she hears your voice, she'll stop. It's generally worse at night. That's just my guess. A big move like that so late in her life is very stressful and that could cause her to change her behavior as well. Recommend having her seen by a vet.
[notify]

Patricia

The Old Lady

Purred: Sun May 27, '12 12:30pm PST 
I can't imagine it is strictly age-related because the changes coincided with the move.
[notify]

ZOEY

Growing up with - TORTITUDE

Purred: Tue May 29, '12 10:07pm PST 
Moving is one of the most stressful things for cats. They are very territorial even indoors and her territory was taken away. A lot of cats just do not do well with change.

It doesn't sound like she has any bad behaviors though which can happen with stress, so that is good. Maybe you could try plugging in Feliway in your house to calm her and she will get more to feeling herself.
[notify]

Chico

I rule this- house - dogs included

Purred: Sat Jun 2, '12 9:29pm PST 
The meowing I recognize. Check your attic for pests - ours cats did it in our new home and we found out we had a family of squirrels living in our attic. The cats never meowed at the ceiling directly, but when we closed up the vent and didn't have the problem anymore, the meowing stopped.

We moved into a new home when our guys were 3 and they took it really hard too. It took a good 8 months or so for them to return to normal behavior and they were young. I don't think it's unusual at all that she's flipped personalities - most senior animals do not take change very well at all. I've known older cats to have problems adjusting to a room that has had furniture moved after years of the same let alone a huge move and whole new house.
[notify]

Patricia

The Old Lady

Purred: Sun Jun 17, '12 12:35pm PST 
It was obvious she hated moving but I never thought that could translate into not liking the same chairs and canned food anymore or loving the tile floors.

I tried to talk Mom into adopting another cat but she said the lease does not allow it. cry
[notify]