GO!

Kitten prefers my husband

This is a place to gain some understanding of cat behavior and to assist people in training their cats and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers...not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Bella

Sweet as Sugar

Purred: Wed Apr 11, '12 10:21pm PST 
Why on earth?

My husband didn't do the research I did to find the perfect kitten for our family. He hasn't given medicine, cleaned out her ears repeatedly, and bought her a huge cat tree. He doesn't try to win her love. He doesn't feed or brush her and scoop the litter.

Why then, does she prefer him? Am I trying too hard? Should I back off and Give her no attention? I'm sad frown. Lol
[notify]

Emily

Don't pet, play!

Purred: Thu Apr 12, '12 6:25am PST 
LOL. We've been there at our house. And I went through the same list of things my husband doesn't do. laugh out loud He even admits, "All I do is love them." For a while one of our males, Eko, preferred me and Emily here preferred my husband. Leo loves everyone. But things evened out over time and now they don't have a noticeable preference. Sometimes cats do seem to have a gender preference. I've seen it suggested that there could be a hormonal/pheromone type thing going on, but am not sure if there is any truth to that. Like you said, you may want to play it cool and not ignore her but not be too eager either. Maybe if she is not that interested in petting she would be interested in some playtime with a shoestring or wand toy. Emily here could never resist that.

Edited by author Thu Apr 12, '12 6:26am PST

[notify]

Kosuteh

Biting means I- love you..- right?

Purred: Thu Apr 12, '12 10:52am PST 
Sometimes it happens that way. Momma was the one that did most of the bottle feeding when I was young. (I was an orphaned kitten) Daddy, however, is the one that I love most. I demand his attention all the time, and follow him around. I only tolerate momma though.
[notify]

Bella

Sweet as Sugar

Purred: Tue Apr 17, '12 4:34pm PST 
thank you for the responses.

I wanted to come in and say that i spoke 2 days too soon. now I'd rephrase it to say "Bella sleeps with my husband, because he doesn't move around like I do, but she comes to me when i call her and cuddles just fine. I think she likes me just fine. Especially since I changed them from science diet to gluten free canned food.. hehe
[notify]

Emily

Don't pet, play!

Purred: Wed Apr 18, '12 7:53am PST 
Awww...good. Good choice on the food too. We did the same thing when we adopted ours. But Emily here misses the corn in the Science Diet and gobbles up all my kids' crumbs on corn muffin nights...lol. She has a thing for popcorn too. laugh out loud
[notify]

Sonny

Luvin life out- of the shelter

Purred: Wed Apr 18, '12 7:26pm PST 
When Sonny first came home, my husband did everything he could to ignore him but it didn't work, Sonny is a daddys boy for sure.
[notify]

Smokey

Purred: Fri Apr 20, '12 4:59pm PST 
Glad I am not the only one with this problem. Smokey has attached himself to me and no one else. Only I can pet and rub his belly.
My wife is the one that wanted a cuddly kitten and this fur-ball (his birthday, second is Apr. 23) says I am his foxhole buddy.
Nobody can come near him, Smokey will swat them and forget dogs. He attacks them and chases them out of the house. Smokey is my shadow, no matter where I am he wants only me by him. When I am driving he lays around my neck and shoulders.
[notify]

Alexander,- Dreamboat- #110

I am really a- lap dog in- disguise.

Purred: Fri Apr 27, '12 3:08am PST 
Alex has always preferred my husband. When my husband lies down on the couch, he doesn't move much. I am the one who gets up and down. Alex likes to have someone who does what my husband does. I am the one who feeds him and plays with him. Until Natasha's passing, Alex would never lie with me. Now that she is gone, he does lie with me. We are getting a new kitten soon but I think that Alex will still lie with me. He found that he enjoys it. I used to resent it a little but I need to look at the situation from his point. Natasha was never my husband's kitty so I was hers completely so Alex had my husband's lap to go to. Now, he enjoys both of us. He will continue to do this because I will make sure that we have Alex time and kitten time as well.
I just glad Alex loves people which is most important. He always wants to be the center of attention. Enjoy your cat for what he/she is....no matter what.
[notify]