GO!

My kitten does not let me touch her

This is a place to gain some understanding of cat behavior and to assist people in training their cats and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers...not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Purred: Tue Apr 3, '12 4:41pm PST 
Hi!

I´m new to the cat world, since i got my beautiful persian kitten three days ago. She is 3 months old, plays a lot and does not have problems playing, eating or going to the litter.

However, she is a very scared kitten, always hiding and running away from everyone. She won´t let us touch her - not to pet, not to pick her up, not even come close.

Whenever I try an approach, even if gently and slowly, she either runs or hisses.

I have no idea how to win her over, or how to make her feel more calm with humam presence. And it worries me that I can´t even brush her fur or take her to meet the vet.

What can I do to get closer to her? Please help!
[notify]

Alexander,- Dreamboat- #110

I am really a- lap dog in- disguise.

Purred: Tue Apr 3, '12 5:09pm PST 
First, wait for her to approach you.....Cats hate when someone comes to them. They like to do the approaching....It will happen very quickly. Give treats and talk softly to her. Don't look her in the eye...She is timid because this is all new to her. She will get used to things soon. Keep her area small and slowly let her explore your place. Put your things that have your scent on them nearby. Put treats on your things ( clothes) and she will believe that you and treats go together....Congrats on the new kitten. She will be playing within two weeks, I believe....Be patient...
[notify]

Monster

It's all about- me.

Purred: Thu Apr 5, '12 2:24pm PST 
It sounds like your kitten wasn't well-socialized with humans. Many years ago, my mom adopted an 8-week old kitten from a stray litter, and that kitten actually hated mom for several months. Then one day, as mom was lying on the couch, the kitten came over and sat on her ankles. Over the years, the cat became more and more affectionate, but never really liked being picked up too much.

I agree with Alexander. Don't force attention on your kitten. Just sit in the room with her, and eventually she'll get used to you and start approaching her on her own. Hold your finger out for her to sniff and give her cheek or chin a little scratch. Be patient.
[notify]

Purred: Sun Apr 8, '12 6:14pm PST 
Thank you very much for your advice. I am letting her do whatever she wants now. Not pressuring her at all.

However, the kitten seems to become less and less socializing as the days pass by. Now that she is getting more comfortable with the room, she is hissing more and hiding for longer periods.

Do you know if this is it normal behaviour?
[notify]

Monster

It's all about- me.

Purred: Mon Apr 9, '12 3:35pm PST 
Hmmm. Try getting her to interact with you using fishing pole type toys. Here's some advice from the ASPCA http://www.aspcabehavior.org/articles/163/Socializing-Your-Kitten.as px.

Years ago I adopted an 8-week-old stray kitten who was not well socialized, and she hated me for many months. Didn't want me near her, didn't want me to touch her. it was really depressing. but eventually she got used to me, and when she was about 7-8 months old, she started sitting on my ankles while I was lying on the couch. I had her for 17 years and she became very affectionate.

Have you had your own vet check her out yet? I wonder if the hissing, hiding, and avoidance might also be due to some health issues.
[notify]

Ben

I fetch,- therefore I am.

Purred: Tue Apr 10, '12 1:51am PST 
Which kind of environment was she in before? Was she adopted from a shelter or rescue, born feral or abandoned by a previous guardian? Did you buy her from a breeder? Did she come from a pet store/kitten mill?

These questions are all relevant as to why she hasn't been socialized, as well as to which resources might be available to help.

Purred: Wed Apr 11, '12 6:31pm PST 
She was from a pet store. cat on moon
[notify]

Arthur (Miss- You!- '93-'09)

Bucket of Fuzz

Purred: Mon Apr 16, '12 1:48am PST 
If your kitten came from a kitten mill, it's entirely possible that she lived the first weeks of her life in a cage with little meaningful contact with humans. She will need a lot of time and patience to learn to trust a human, the same way a feral kitten would.

You might try doing some online research on socializing feral kittens or cats rescued from a kitten mill environment.

Purred: Thu May 3, '12 5:50am PST 
She is getting better now. She is even asking for the petting!!!
Thank you all for the good advice.
[notify]

Ramsey

Ramsey - The Bedroom Cat- Burglar

Purred: Sat May 5, '12 1:58am PST 
I'm glad she is warming up to you way to go There is nothing better than being brushed or curling up with my daddy. My 3 sisters love to cuddle with daddy but hate it when he picks them up. Your kitty just needs to adjust. You've had good advice regarding the toys and not forcing the issue. She obviously did not feel safe and comfortable at first so she was hiding. Just keep letting her call the shots. Cats like that shrug It's just the way we are. I know this will work out for you and it sounds like things are already on the upswing.
[notify]