GO!

Male cats and spraying.

This is a place to gain some understanding of cat behavior and to assist people in training their cats and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers...not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Purred: Thu Mar 8, '12 12:58pm PST 
My family and I have over the last couple of months been feeding and getting to know a local stray male. He is not neutered. We would love to keep him as he is extremely well mannered and loving. The problem is, we already have one male and one female cat. Although I have yet to see any evidence of spraying while we have had him in the house, or on my patio glass door where he comes every day now, I am concerned he would were we to adopt him. We rent, and simply cannot afford the risk of the damage a spraying cat can cause. My question is, if he hasn't yet, and hasn't marked the door to our place, is he likely to start in the future? Or is he a safe bet at this point? We would LOVE to take him in, but not at the expense of our home. Thanks.
[notify]

Cowboy

The Battle Of- Texas 2010- Winner!

Purred: Thu Mar 8, '12 2:37pm PST 
Male cats, that are not neutered, spray, thats just their way, of marking their territory, and he will spray, in your house. You will also find, he will be aggressive, with your other cats, as that is just how a male cat, that is not neutered acts. If you want to take him in, get him neutered, and all that goes away. Just be aware, even tho he will be neutered, and being that he is not a kitten, it takes a few days, trying to reach back in my memory, mol, but for some reason, 10 days sticks in my mind, so you would have to keep him seperated for that time. That part is really very easy, and be glad to help you with it. The others can prob better remember the amount of days and give you great advice too. Welcome to the board!! waveway to gohug
[notify]

Purred: Fri Mar 9, '12 6:58am PST 
Actually, he is not aggressive at all to our other cats. We have been integrating him into the household and he gets along quite well with the other two cats, and they with him. We bring him in every day for a few hours each time. He sleeps, eats, and plays with the other two. Occasionally he and the other male will throw out a little body language at each other, but they have never fought, and this hasn't happened for some time. This is why we would like to adopt him ourselves, rather than taking him to a shelter, if we believe spraying won't be a problem post-neutering.
[notify]

Ralphie & Randy

Purred: Fri Mar 9, '12 7:12am PST 
He sounds very sweet, and I'm sure he would appreciate having a loving, forever home. Like Cowboy, it is my understanding that the hormones remain in the system of an adult cat after neutering for some amount of time, so the behaviors may remain for a little while. Your vet can probably give you a good idea of what to expect. During that waiting period, you may want to keep him isolated in a bathroom or another small room of your house. If you're especially worried about spraying, you could put a drop cloth on the floor of the room and also cover the walls and other surfaces for easy cleanup.

Even if there is some residual spraying behavior after he is neutered, it will be only temporary and shouldn't dissuade you from adopting him. He sounds like a lovely fit for your family. Please take him in and give him a good home!
[notify]

Greyson and- Luna

Her Highness and- the Court Jester

Purred: Fri Mar 9, '12 7:47am PST 
So what I am hearing is that, despite his age (which I approximate 4-5 years), neutering should take care of it? I have heard so many "horror" stories of older cats being neutered and still spraying. I have never encountered this before because all my previous male cats I got as kittens and neutered them early. All of my cats have been rescues as well. This guy is so amazingly sweet and well behaved he needs to be in a loving home with people for him to love back. He is a lap cat to the "N"th degree. I was ill for a day and I let him in and he spent the entire afternoon laying in my lap, keeping me company. My own cats won't do that! lol I live way out in the mountains, but I find it hard to believe this guy was ever feral. Most likely he was dropped off by someone and found us, but he is definitely not neutered yet, and I have no idea how long he has been on his own. He was pretty scrawny and wormy when I found him. I have gotten him fit and healthy now, and socialized, so if we can't give him a home, it is my priority ti find him a good one.
[notify]

Ralphie & Randy

Purred: Fri Mar 9, '12 11:54am PST 
I don't have personal experience with having an adult cat neutered, but it is my understanding that the behaviors that are exhibited by intact males will indeed resolve after neutering. Again, the hormones responsible for these behaviors will still be present for a time. I think the stories you've heard probably refer, in general, to the time it takes post-neutering for the hormones to completely clear the body. Of course, urination issues can happen with any cat at any time regardless of age. But I don't think you need to be concerned that spraying is a permanent condition once a cat reaches adulthood. Please discuss all these concerns with your vet, who will be able answer all your questions in detail specific to your case, and hopefully can set your mind at ease.

He sounds like an adorable sweetheart who wants to love and be loved. The fact that he already gets along with your family, furry members included, is a huge step. Please take him in and give him a chance! It sounds like you already love him, too. Please post updates on what you decide!

Greyson and Luna are both GORGEOUS, by the way.
[notify]

Greyson and- Luna

Purred: Fri Mar 9, '12 1:20pm PST 
Thanks! I appreciate your comments and support. He really already is a part of our family. If it were up to my daughter and I, it would be a done deal. My husband, on the other hand, is against having another cat. I hope, that if I can assure him of the no spraying issue, that I may be able to sway him. Otherwise, we are trying to find him a home. But as you said, he has settled in so comfortably here and given us his complete trust, I would hate to break that and send him away, even to a good home, when he could have one here. Either way, we will continue to care for him until he is settled comfortably somewhere. Wish me luck!

Thanks for the comments on Luna and Greyson too! I think they are beautiful too, of course I am just a little biased! wink
[notify]

Ralphie & Randy

Purred: Fri Mar 9, '12 2:20pm PST 
It seems like for some people, 3 cats is the tipping-point into "crazy cat person" territory. It's not true of course, but maybe your husband is one who believes it to be, so it's giving him a mental-block against wanting to accept another cat. Try reminding him of how much joy your daughter must add to your human family. And if you have three humans in your family, it's only logical that there should be three cats so every person always has a furry buddy. If all that fails, have your daughter give him the sad, pleading eyes. It seems that girls are always able to wrap the men in their lives around their little fingers. :- )

Best of luck! I hope you're able to bring him around to the idea of adopting this new little creature. You sound perfect for each other. Please keep us updated!
[notify]

Greyson and- Luna

Purred: Tue Apr 3, '12 7:51am PST 
I am pleased to announce that "Spooky" has now become a permanent member of our family! I will try to post some pics as soon as I can! Thanks for everyone's input! smile
[notify]

Eko

Mr. Eko - dark, but- good-hearted

Purred: Tue Apr 3, '12 1:53pm PST 
Yay! Thanks for the happy update.
[notify]