GO!

Reintroducing cat to new kitten

This is a place to gain some understanding of cat behavior and to assist people in training their cats and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers...not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Jack

Not spoiled,- just well taken- care of.

Purred: Sat Feb 18, '12 1:46pm PST 
We got a kitten (James) at the end December, but had to separate him from Jack, our resident 6 year old cat, because of a case of ringworm. We just got the all clear today from the vet and encouraged to start introducing James to Jack.

For nearly a month in a half Jack has had that time to get used to James' scent. However, the introductions are going alright, but not great.

Lots of hissing and growling from Jack.

Part of me thinks its because James still smells like he came from the vet.

I tried the vanilla extract thing and dabbed a bit on each of their heads and base of tails, that seemed to work for awhile. They were chasing each other around the house. However, that seemed to be short-lived and Jack went back to growling and hissing.

After about two hours of them together I separated them yet again (just to give them both a bit of a break)

I know its only the first day, but is there anything else I can do to make these introductions better for both of them.
[notify]

James

I may be small,- but I'm scrappy.

Purred: Sun Feb 19, '12 1:40pm PST 
Day 2: Things are still developing.
There was a fairly interesting altercation between the two this morning. I didn't intervene, I just watched. James (kitten) didn't look to be in any immediate danger. If anything it looked like he was antagonizing Jack (older cat). Whatever "problem" they had it seemed to be settled. I'm kind of unsure what "fights" to breakup and which ones to leave alone since I'm sure some of this is normal.

For added comfort (for me) I bought the Feliway diffuser. Right now I'm just concerned everytime Jack (older cat) goes into the 2nd bedroom where James'(kitten) food is, he won't let him eat. I haven't seen this first hand, its just a fear I have.

Am I doing everything right so far?

When we leave we keep the little one in the 2nd bedroom and bring him out when we are home.

Am I being to clueless, hopeful, naive that I hope they can get along without supervision by this Tuesday?
[notify]

Rory

little red- biscuit head

Purred: Sun Feb 19, '12 2:06pm PST 
If you have any doubts put James up only when you aren't able to be there. As to the food, Meowma has to use a cage with an opening only big enough for the babies when there are kittens here or I'll eat all the babycat food that I love. If you do that, make dang sure the hole is small enough to keepthe big klitty out. You would be surprised at how small a fat boy can make his head if he really wants to, and if the head goes in the rest will too.
[notify]

Jack

Purred: Mon Feb 20, '12 11:50am PST 
Thanks, I was literally up all night trying to think of a solution to the food problem. I'm noticing its the only time Jack actually shows "dominance". I figured I can put it in a place Jack can't get too. I just hope James is okay with his food's new place (I guess he'll have to be). The funny thing is, Jack lets James eat his food, so then he goes to the 2nd bedroom (where we have James' stuff) and helps himself to James' food. UGH!

I don't know why I'm still so worried. I just want both to be happy.
[notify]

Jack

Purred: Mon Feb 20, '12 11:50am PST 
Thanks, I was literally up all night trying to think of a solution to the food problem. I'm noticing its the only time Jack actually shows "dominance". I figured I can put it in a place Jack can't get too. I just hope James is okay with his food's new place (I guess he'll have to be). The funny thing is, Jack lets James eat his food, so then he goes to the 2nd bedroom (where we have James' stuff) and helps himself to James' food. UGH!

I don't know why I'm still so worried. I just want both to be happy.
[notify]

Leo

purrrr

Purred: Tue Feb 21, '12 6:20am PST 
Sounds like you are doing the right thing with the supervised visits. To provide some encouragement, Leo also lived in isolation (for a month) yet there was still plenty of hissing from his "brother" Eko when he came out. It took a month for the hissing to die down, now they are good buddies. They even snuggle and groom each other at times. Good luck with your two boys.
[notify]