GO!

Problem with 11 yr old female

This is a place to gain some understanding of cat behavior and to assist people in training their cats and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers...not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Mittens

Purred: Sat Feb 18, '12 11:18am PST 
She has recently decided not to use the litter box and is pooping everywhere and anywhere. I need help. I brought a new male in the house over a year ago who she would not accept becuz he taunts her all the time because he wants to play so bad. What can I do, I am at my wits end. Is there anything I can spray on my carpet to get her to use the litter box again.
[notify]

Maizy

I may meow to- you if you're- worthy

Purred: Sun Feb 19, '12 9:04am PST 
first thing is to take her to a vet to make sure there is not an underlying medical issue. Did you change the litter type? Do you have at least 2 boxes for 2 cats? She might have gotten upset/frightened while trying to use the box, and now has an aversion to it. Plus you need a good enzymatic cleaner such as Nature's Miracle to get the scent out of the areas she went.
[notify]

Mika

Purred: Fri Feb 24, '12 7:23pm PST 
What sort of poop is it? Is it smallish hard lumps? If so, your kitty might be constipated. I'm 13 now, and I used to get constipated a lot. My Mom used to mix some Metamucil Free and Clear in with my food and that worked for a while, but now she has to give me a stool softener twice a day.
[notify]

Ramsey

Ramsey - The Bedroom Cat- Burglar

Purred: Sat Feb 25, '12 9:18pm PST 
Maizy has given you good advice. General rule of thumb is one litter box for each cat plus 1. The plus 1 should be in a neutral area if possible. While this is the ideal situation, it is not always possible to accommodate. You should try to do at least 2 boxes. At 11, a vet check to make sure nothing physical is wrong is probably a good idea. Also, you might look into the pheromone diffuser by Feliway. It really helps settle down kitties with anxiety. We use it here with great success. Good luck and let us know what is going on if you can. So sorry you are having this problem.
[notify]

BooBoo

headed for the- light.

Purred: Sun Feb 26, '12 9:32am PST 
I agree, something is causing it to hurt when she poops and she now associates it with the box, OR the other cat is running her out of the box. Cats that have reliably used the box don't stop for no reason, and while it's a popular idea cats don't poo out of 'spite'. Stress, possibly. I am back from beyond the Bridge to tell you, I think especially due to her age constipation is very likely. I got totally stopped up and had to be 'put under' and cleaned out at the vet, and afterward I was still afrain it would hurt to poop. Meowma had to totally retrain me, by putting me in a little room with Dr Elsey's in a big pan, and she would sit in there for an hour after I ate rubbling my tummy and stetting me in the box when I was obviously about to go. I hope it doesn't get this embarrassing for you.
[notify]