GO!

Pheromone Collars: Effective?

This is a place to gain some understanding of cat behavior and to assist people in training their cats and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers...not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Wallace - My Little- Angel

The A-durable- Wallace

Purred: Sun Jan 29, '12 11:56am PST 
I have two cats that have a fair amount of anxiety when it comes to new things, storms, me leaving for class and work, etc. Nothing extreme. They are not aggressive, but I wanted something to ease their anxiety, especially when I'm not around. I thought about about getting the diffuser, but it is fairly pricey so I wanted to test the effects of a pheromone with the less expensive 30 day collar. Today is day one so I can't say there is any difference yet but does anyone have either good or bad things to say about the collar? Or even the diffuser for that matter. I don't mind spending the money if I know there is a good chance it will work.
[notify]

Emily

Don't pet, play!

Purred: Sun Jan 29, '12 12:03pm PST 
Hi. We just wanted to mention that the diffusers and refills are much cheaper online than they are in stores. We've used the diffusers in special situations like introducing a new pet, out of town guests, etc... It's hard to say how much they helped since I don't know what the cats would have been like without them. I have seen instant changes in a cat after spraying the spray on a surface near them though. So, I'd think if the spray works, the diffuser works too. We don't have any experience with the collar though.
[notify]

Finnegan- (Finney)

I am a- CARNIVORE! Not a- Cornivore!

Purred: Sun Jan 29, '12 1:32pm PST 
One of our friends makes a calming collar that I'm told works way better than those pheremone ones. I had to get one recently for Finnegan and WOW what a difference! I actually have a coupon code you can use for 10% off if you go through my website to her link: http://ibdkitties.net/giftshops.html. Lots of kitties here use it for something. They really work great and much more worth the money. big grin
[notify]

Kitty Pryde

Purred: Tue Jan 31, '12 12:22pm PST 
Calming collars are the way to go! We've used a few of them now-we tried the pheremone collar once and it was a yucky powdery mess that got all over the fur and the kitties kept licking at it to get it off, making themselves a poor mess and the smell was so strong too. Calming collars are scented, but even my kitty who could take off a harness wore his with no problems and never tried to take it off. calming collars are the way to go! We've tried the feliway too, but it never really helped much-only in the boy cats and only for the furrrst couple of days when it was plugged in!
[notify]

Wallace - My Little- Angel

The A-durable- Wallace

Purred: Thu Feb 2, '12 7:14pm PST 
Thanks! I may try the Feliway in addition later on but so far I feel like the collar is doing a decent job. I want to wait a few more days just to be sure but I do sense less anxiety. At first, I had it on Newton (the uber playful one) who can sometimes get destructive when he's wound up but I switched it over to Wallace because he paws at the door sometimes and meows...overall just seems to have a bit of anxiety. He isn't lethargic at all but he's so cuddly now! If he DOES go up to the door and I call him, he runs right over to me and starts nuzzling and purring. Too soon to tell if it's due to the collar but whatever it is, I love the cuddle buddy!
[notify]

Purred: Sat Feb 11, '12 4:39pm PST 
These collars sound great. I have never heard of them before, but have used feliway. It is expensive especially in big room where you need 2. I am in the UK. any idea what web site does them that exports here? Id love to try one.
[notify]

Kitty Pryde

Purred: Sat Feb 11, '12 5:51pm PST 
Www.calmingcollars.com or go thru www.ibdkitties.net!
[notify]

Hunter- *Dreamboat- #82*

Master of- Disaster!

Purred: Thu Feb 16, '12 5:22am PST 
Mom just ordered one for the dog! big laugh She really is a barker and high strung. We need sleep in this house. I can only pounce on her so much. Do they really work?? Mom says we need a miracle in this house. Everyone is so uptight and stressed out from no sleep.

I wonder if mom should order one for herself! laugh out loud
[notify]

Miss Puff

carma works,- wish I never- chaced Meow

Purred: Thu Feb 16, '12 8:29pm PST 
Meowma tells people about getting them all of the time. She has seen the Lady who makes them on Facebook. She would love to know how many people here have used them and if they have helped. Hunter, Plz let us know how your doggie does. Tks! dog
cat on moon

edited to ad this,
I am talking about the Calming Collar.

Edited by author Thu Feb 16, '12 8:32pm PST

[notify]

Hunter- *Dreamboat- #82*

Master of- Disaster!

Purred: Wed Feb 22, '12 3:53am PST 
Teaka (our dog) her calming collar came in yesterday. It was exactly what I ordered. I got the x-small and I had to adjust it a tiny bit. It smells. Then again, the lady who makes them, put in a different 'formula' of dried herbs for Teaka. On the order form I explain how she doesn't sleep at night and barks at anything. So the lady emailed me and told me she put a slightly different formula of herbs in the collar for Teaka and that its 'extra strength'. The smell is a bit overwhelming at first, but after a while, hardly noticeable.

Anyway, I put it on the dog last night, hoping and praying this was the answer to our problems. I of course didn't sleep much, just waiting for the dog to bark. She barked once to be let out, and then got sick on the rug. I dont know if its the smell of the collar, or if it was food someone gave her. I left the collar on, cleaned up and we went back to bed. She barked again before I got up, this time a little more vigorous, to be let out. (She is a Yorkie, so she has a little bladder, she needs to be out every 4 hours or so)

Honestly, its a success!! Compared to what I've been through with her, barking twice for legitimate reasons to be let out, is definately something I can deal with. Oh and if you order a calming collar, the lady gives you a coupon for 10% off your next order! Teaka will be wearing hers every night!! Thank you calming collars! I was a skeptic at first, but now, I believe!! laugh out loud
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2