GO!

Constantly licking!!!

This is a place to gain some understanding of cat behavior and to assist people in training their cats and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers...not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 15)  
1  2  
TIA SYDIBIL

STILL WATERS RUN- DEEP

Purred: Fri May 20, '11 8:58am PST 
Tia sits or lies on my chest every time I lie down. As soon as she gets settled there, she starts to lick. She licks my face, neck or hair, and licks and licks and licks. Once she licked my hair so much it was sopping wet and I had to wash it before I could go out.

Since she's so skittish, I don't want to discourage her from showing affection - she spent most of the first couple of months with me under the sofa.

It must be affection, since I don't use anything but unscented soap and lotion. It's amazing how much has changed in 13 months. She talks (and fusses) to me all the time. If I'm gone more than she thinks proper, I get a lecture on "kitty negelect". I just have to laugh.laugh out loudlaugh out loudlaugh out loudlaugh out loud
[notify]

Ozzy

Eat it, break- it, make it- bleed

Purred: Fri May 20, '11 6:16pm PST 
I'm a total licker. I give mama-lady her "Ozzy Facial". My favorite time to give it to her is when she's in bed just about to doze off, and early in the morning right before she wakes up. laugh out loud Sometimes i like to lick her at like 2am, so she can wake up and go use her litterbox. My mama-lady puts her hand on her face so i'll lick that instead, and she's learned to fall asleep that way. And her other new thing is to blow in my face when i start lickin. I don't like that so much, but sometimes i get the message and just snuggle up without the lickin.
[notify]

Deez

Purred: Tue Sep 4, '12 10:55am PST 
I was licking my humans hands and face alot, but then it increased dramatically a month ago. Every 2 hours I would wake up and lick my human's face wanting attention. I was expecting to be groomed back because I was uncomfortable. I also was losing a tad bit of weight and not eating as much. My human took me to the vet. The vet cleaned my ears (they were very dirty and I was uncomfortable there) and I had a mild infection treated with amoxicillan and some vitamins. I'm eating better now and I don't wake up my human at night. We both sleep sooooo nicely now.
Think of excessive licking as a sign of wanting attention for something, usually discomfort....and me wanting comfort back.. and in this case, a visit to the vet did the trick!
[notify]

Gizmo

Purred: Wed Sep 5, '12 1:49pm PST 
Hahah Gizmo is a licker too, started on the tip of my nose, i let him do a little then i move away and say ''ouch'' he usually gets the hint.
Ive got a red raw patch of skin on my face but im proud of it!! hahah hope you are well. Purrs xx
[notify]

TIA SYDIBIL

STILL WATERS RUN- DEEP

Purred: Wed Sep 5, '12 3:37pm PST 
Thanks for the input. Tia's somewhat better but she's sneaky. She'll go for several days without a single lick; then when I'm not paying attention, she gets in several licks before I can get my hands up or blow in her face. She looks so proud of herself, I just have to laugh.

She seems to be getting more secure with me and has discovered that if she pats my arm, she gets lovies for as long as she wants. She's still really skittish so I doubt she'll ever be a relaxed lap cat. We're working on it and she will now let me pick her up and hold her for a few minutes - then she's ready to get down. I plan to accept whatever affection she's comfortable giving me.
[notify]

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 15)  
1  2