GO!

Got startled, and now hides all the time.

This is a place to gain some understanding of cat behavior and to assist people in training their cats and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers...not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Gizmo

I can has dis- shiny device?

Purred: Mon Mar 1, '10 1:24pm PST 
So, I've lived with cats more or less continuously since I was 7 years old. Last summer (2008) I got my first ME cat (not a family pet), Gizmo, who is now close to 2 years old.

Gizmo was very, very shy at first, but eventually became a very sociable and affectionate cat. She has always been frightened by new situations, but adapts until you can't remember she was ever scared. She has lived with at least one other cat in the house at all times. At one point we lived in a house with four cats, no problem.

We (my other roommate and I) recently had a new roommate move in, and this roommate has a very well-behaved dog. We met the dog before we agreed to the situation. Gizmo hid for the first several hours of the dog being there, but I coaxed her out with food. By the end of the evening, they were sniffing each other and the dog licked her. They repeated this routine, and all seemed well.

Today, Gizmo was fine until my other roommate came home--the one she has known and been comfortable with for almost a year now. She (Gizmo) is hiding under my bed and hasn't come out for hours now, even though the other roommate is asleep, all is quiet, and the dog isn't here.

I'm worried and confused, and I don't know what I should do. cry
[notify]

Sugar

The Queen

Purred: Mon Mar 1, '10 1:49pm PST 
This is a strange question to ask and not one that a human would know the answer to, but is it possible that the other room mate has a different smell, that the cat is sensing? It may not even be that room mate. How is the weather over there? Animals can sense a change in weather, even before we know about it.
[notify]

Gizmo

Purred: Mon Mar 1, '10 2:09pm PST 
Cold and grey, but it's been that way for days. They've been saying it might snow within the next few days, but she's never reacted this way before, and we've had several large snowstorms.

So far as I know, the only change in my roommate's "smell" might be from not sleeping last night, though I don't know if that can affect it. Our new roommate (the one with the dog) decided to spend her first night in our house staying up with friends till 7 AM, so neither of the other two of us got much rest. confused

Do you think she'll get over this and come out on her own? Should I try to remove her myself?
[notify]

Sugar

The Queen

Purred: Mon Mar 1, '10 2:12pm PST 
That was the room mate's first time spending the night there? That would definitely send the cat into hiding. I also find it rude that she stayed up until 7 am with friends of hers, and you couldn't any sleep. Did you talk to her about this? That could be what bothered your cat.
[notify]

Gizmo

Purred: Mon Mar 1, '10 2:22pm PST 
That was the new roommate's first time here, but that roommate hasn't come home yet today.

Yeah, it was rude, and we're having a talk about it as soon as she gets home. Gizmo seemed to be okay last night when all this was going on; she stuck close to me most of the time, but didn't need to hide. For some reason she's just hiding now that the other roommate, the one she's known for a year and likes to cuddle with, has come back from class.

Thank you for all your responses, btw! I'm just trying to figure out if this is behavior I should be worried about and try to fix, or if I should just leave her be for a day or so and assume she'll get used to whatever new thing has her in a funk. She sniffs at my hand and rubs her head against it a little when I reach under the bed, but otherwise is not budging.
[notify]

Dafney

Purred: Mon Mar 1, '10 2:26pm PST 
I would not try and get her out yourself... just give her time... she will come out on her own. Just close the door and put out some of her favorite toys and treats and then come back in a little later and see if that did the trick. Good luck!
[notify]

Gizmo

Purred: Mon Mar 1, '10 2:45pm PST 
Thanks. I think you're probably right. I'm going to wait and see for a bit, and when I leave the house to go dancing tonight I'll leave her food and water in here and shut the door. It just makes me sad and worried to see her hiding like this.
[notify]

Gizmo

Purred: Mon Mar 1, '10 8:21pm PST 
My mom was about to head out and decided to pour some food into my bowl in the kitchen as a last attempt. I materialized right next to her before she even heard me coming.

Now I stare at the room where the dog lives, but otherwise continue rolling over for belly rubs, chasing the shinies, etc.

My mom, however, is still pretty angry at the roommate in question for last night, and for skipping out on their house meeting without an explanation. I will be available for belly rubs.
Probably. New rule tomorrow.
[notify]

Natasha

Princess Forever

Purred: Sun Mar 7, '10 6:09pm PST 
I know that you saw your cat and the dog interact. Was there something that you didn't see? My older cat went under the bed and hid from a very long time. I made a mistake in trying to get her out. Don't force her from under the bed. Have food and water and perhaps litter box near by so she isn't holding her bladder. My cat got an urinary infection because she avoided the litter box since it was near my other cat.
I have four litter boxes now around the house. Would not it be nice if they could talk and tell us what the problem was? Glad to see that you do enjoy your cat. Patience is what they need. Things will be back to normal....
[notify]

Bumpurr

RESPECT The- Star!

Purred: Mon Mar 8, '10 3:29pm PST 
This one was actually pretty easy, after reading all your posts, and getting more information. big grin

The problem is stress in your household. She senses your being upset and stressed, cats are very sensative to their surroundings, and what is going on in the household.

And the roomate, that had friends until 7am, that made so much noise, that you and the other roomate got no sleep, is another contributing factor. That is not something she is used to, and it scared her and stressed her out.

I highly recommend you get rid of the roomate, that has no consideration for others and apparently feels no responsibility for follow the house rules.

You need to do this immediately, or her, the cat, behavior will continue and you will end up with a sick cat.

Best of luck with this situation. big grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grin
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2