GO!

Soft Paws Glue

This is a place to gain some understanding of cat behavior and to assist people in training their cats and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers...not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Tripper

Typical- Troublemaking- Kitten

Purred: Sat Sep 5, '09 5:05pm PST 
Hi there.

I didn't do a search about this, simply because I'm not looking for a question of whether or not they're worth it or they'll work.

(I know they will. And if they don't, I'll fine-tune how I apply them until they do work, because I refuse to declaw my cats now that I know what the surgery actually is.)

Anyways, I got these Soft Paws claw caps.

My kitten, Tripper, has an avid love of using our $750.00 [apiece] speakers as her cat-scratching posts. (Ignoring the ones we have for her, of course.) We CANNOT have her do this - she has already completely demolished a speaker - that's a several-hundred-dollar loss. Not gonna happen again.

We trim her claws, yes. So I did this as I normally would have, and go to put on the caps (I've trimmed them to size since the kitten caps are still too big). I open the glue container, trim the end, and squeeze. And squeeze. And squeeze. And nothing comes out. So I squeeze harder, thinking maybe it's just really sticky glue (it's for kittens, after all - and we all know how kittens are). I break the glue container. It's dried up - or maybe there was no glue in it. Whatever. So I go to the other glue tube. I don't even bother trimming the end and instead unscrew the larger opening on the other end to see if it's even worth the energy. Nope. All dried up.

I think, "Okay? Why not, I'll be using these for the next decade or two..." and go buy another set.

The glue tube in this set... broken - glue over EVERYTHING in the container. Couldn't see that from the outside! Thank GOD the caps are in a little baggie. So I grab the other tube from this set. This one has stuff in it. I'm not sure if it's dry or what, but when I squeezed NOTHING came out. Considering this is the last one out of four... I'm thinking maybe this is user error.

Is there a trick to getting this glue out of the tube? I've cut the end. I've poked pins in to make sure the opening is big enough. What am I doing wrong? Or is this a known problem - Soft Paws glue being dried up/all over? ...and if there's no solution, is there a cat-safe alternative glue to use for this?

I've called Soft Paws. Twice. I have been supposed to get a "call back" TWICE. Obviously, that's yet to happen. So don't tell me to call them. I even offered to just buy glue. I was told, "Customer Care will be able to further assist you with this and they'll get in touch with you within the next three days." Pfft.

PS: My fiance thanks you for saving his four-thousand-plus dollar investment.
[notify]

Bumpurr

RESPECT The- Star!

Purred: Sun Sep 6, '09 5:21am PST 
I am thinking, there is a defect, in the glue, and, you should be getting your money back. I would take them back to the store, if its petsmart, you got a pretty good chance. big grin

Next, since you got nowhere with Customer Service, the next step is to go to Corp, or the person or organization, that owns this Company. In this case, it is Schelling Veterinary Services in Three Rivers CA.

(559) 561-1801
39685 Sierra Dr
Three Rivers, CA

http://www.softpaws.com/contact.html

I know they do work, we had one cat on the circuit that used them. Altho, they are technically not allowed, the judge asked her why she used them. The lady said she was a diabetic and could not afford to get scratched, she was also in a wheelchair, and a brace on her neck. What judge is gonna dismiss her cat with that? The cat had a different color on for each show.

It is good you clip her claws, but you can also get her a scratching post and teach her to use it. I also read, that they scratch, not only to sharpen their claws, but also to mark their territory, and that you have to use something, will give you the link, to get the smell off of it, or they will continue to use it.

They also have products, that you can use to discourage scratching certain items.

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=1+2174&aid=166

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/pet_supplies.cfm?c=3261+2083 1

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/pet_supplies.cfm?c=3261+1 894

Hope this helps and best of luck with Dr Schelling. big grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grin
[notify]

Tripper

Typical- Troublemaking- Kitten

Purred: Sun Sep 6, '09 6:35am PST 
I'll definitely use that contact information. Thanks!

We've tried almost everything to get Tripper to leave these speakers alone.
1.) Spraying with water whenever she's scratching on it or as she's stretching up onto it.
2.) Using a citrus spray around the speaker (since it's a high-end electronic we are wary of spraying anything directly on it).
3.) Using a "no-scratch" spray very lightly on the speaker (this was on the first one - it faded the cloth of the speaker AND the cat ignored it and continued her ways until the speaker was completely shot).
4.) Putting aluminum foil on the speaker (which defeats the speaker, by the way, since the speakers are actually in the SIDES, where she scratches). Tripper thought this was amazing - and proceeded to scratch the aluminum foil to beautiful shreds, then eat it.
5.) Putting clear plastic on the speakers. This she got her nails nicely in, then tore down, only to continue scratching on the speaker.
6.) Moving the speaker and putting the post there. Trip just ignored it, and walked over to where we put the speaker and started scratching on it THERE.
7.) Putting catnip spray all over the scratching posts. She doesn't care about the spray. Looooooves the speakers.
8.) Buying more, and multiple types of, cat scratching posts. We have tall ones, short ones, square ones, circle ones, the wavey "magic carpet" one. Carpet, rope, cardboard, straight wood, suede... Trip ignores them ALL.

When she's anywhere near her posts, we praise her. When she puts her paws on the "magic carpet" post, (not claws) we give her praise and lovin'. ButTripper won't EVER let loose those claws on the posts. Just the speakers. That's the ONLY thing she scratches on. And it's the ONLY item we'd be upset about.

Just our luck, right?
[notify]

Bumpurr

RESPECT The- Star!

Purred: Sun Sep 6, '09 11:32am PST 
You could try this, its kind of extreme, but it might work. Was looking for something and came across this site, and we do use vinegar, diluted with water, to rinse our show cats, and that one, does work. It says you can use vinegar to deter cats, I just copied and pasted the article:

Eight smart uses for vinegar
By Brian Clark Howard
Posted Tue May 12, 2009 7hi51am PDT
Related topics: Food and Drink, How-To, Cleaning, Tips, House
More from The Daily Green News blog
votes
Buzz up!

(Photo: iStockPhoto)

Now that you know ketchup can be used for shining copper and repairing hair, or that vodka can be used to repel insects and freshen laundry, you may have been wondering what tasks you can get done for cheap with other household items.

Since May is National Vinegar Month (did you forget?), we thought we'd take a closer look at this inexpensive, versatile good.

According to the Vinegar Institute, the useful stuff was probably discovered by accident (most wine drinkers know what happens when you leave a bottle sitting around too long). In fact the word vinegar comes from a French translation for "sour wine."

Over the centuries vinegar has been produced from many stocks, including molasses, dates, sorghum, fruits, coconut, honey, beer, maple syrup, potatoes, beets, grains, and more. But the principle is the same: You get acetic acid (a.k.a. vinegar) after first fermenting natural sugars to alcohol, and then fermenting again.

As Michael de Jong, The Daily Green's Zen Cleaner and author of the Clean series of books, points out, vinegar has been pressed into service for many uses over the centuries. It has been prized as a foodstuff, condiment, preservative, and natural remedy.

What's so great about vinegar? Besides being effective, vinegar is cheap and widely available. It is nontoxic and lasts for a very long time without losing strength. It does not pollute land, air, or water, and it doesn't combust. It's much safer to have under your sink than bleach, ammonia, or other toxic cleaning products. Many folks also swear by the benefits of apple cider vinegar.

In the spirit of green cleaning, green thrift, and green creativity, we put together this list of alternative uses for vinegar. Add your own in the comments!

Cure hiccups
Some have said they were able to cure pesky hiccups instantly by swallowing a teaspoon of vinegar. Most folks use white vinegar, but people have also reported success with apple cider, balsamic, and rice varieties. So you have a few options as far as taste and aroma. Hey, if the Roman legions drank it, it must be good for you, right?

Fight cramps
If you often get foot or leg cramps in the middle of the night, you may want to try boosting your potassium levels. There are a number of great superfoods rich in potassium (way beyond bananas). Some folks have also suggested trying this remedy: Mix 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar, 1 teaspoon of honey, and a cup of hot water. Then drink before bed. Yummy!

Break bad bonds
Having trouble getting that annoying sticky label residue off a product? Or accidentally glue something together? Vinegar can be used as a solvent to dissolve many common adhesives. Vinegar is also good at cutting grease.

Deter cats
We love cats (even LOLcats!). But sometimes you don't want them doing their business in the kids' sandbox or in your flower bed. According to HomeEnvy, a simple solution is to pour vinegar around the edges of the area you want to protect every few months.

Wash produce
According to the green team at Ideal Bite, vinegar can help remove bacteria and pesticide residues from fruits and veggies. Mix three parts water to one part white vinegar, and dispense in a spray bottle. Then rinse with water. The site claims this wash kills 98% of bacteria on produce.

Clean windows
Instead of spending money on window cleaning chemicals -- especially ones that include toxic or potentially toxic chemicals -- make your own! Mix 2 tablespoons of white vinegar with a gallon of water, and dispense into a used spray bottle. Squirt on, then scrub with newspaper, not paper towels, which cause streaking.

(Photo: Gerville Hall / iStockPhoto)

Get spring-fresh laundry
Got grass stains? No problemo, says Michael de Jong. Make a mixture of one-third cup white vinegar and two-thirds cup water. Apply the solution to the stain and blot with a clean cloth. Repeat this process until you've removed as much green as possible, and then launder as usual.

When your big washing day comes around, toss in a capful of white vinegar. Your colors will come out bolder and your whites whiter. If you've recently had an encounter with a skunk, it will take more than a capful.

After washing, get a sharper crease in pants by dipping the cloth in a 50/50 mixture of vinegar and water. Then wring out the cloth and press the creases. Now you look like Dilbert!

Clean carpets
According to this The Daily Green community member: "Spots in carpets often remove with a simple dilution of one part vinegar, one-sixteenth part lemon juice, and eight parts distilled water."

Thanks for the tip!

For more vinegar tips watch the Zen Cleaner, and check out Michael de Jong's Clean series of books.

How do you use vinegar?

More from The Daily Green

Nine Uses for Ketchup That May Surprise You
10 Cool Uses for Vodka
12 Natural Remedies
Top 10 Sources of Vitamin C
23 Breathtaking Natural Swimming Pools
Reprinted with permission of Hearst Communications, Inc.