GO!

Cats & recliners = bad mix?

This is a place to gain some understanding of cat behavior and to assist people in training their cats and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers...not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Purred: Thu Aug 20, '09 11:55am PST 
Hi there! We're thinking of getting some cats next year and are thinking of things around that house that we might need to "cat-proof". We have a reclining couch so when you pull the recliner out there is a very large empty space inside the hollow of the couch, as well as metal and some grease possibly on the metal bars.

Just wondering to owners out there whether it's safe for cats to be around recliners? I'm worried that the cat might hurt itself or get very dirty if it goes underneath the space inside the couch, or we'll hurt the cat accidentally when we close the reclining part, etc...just want to know if we need to be mentally prepared not to use the recliner anymore!

Thanks very much in advance!
[notify]

♥ TT- ♥

Purred: Thu Aug 20, '09 12:38pm PST 
I think you can use your recliner, but you do have to be careful. I was visiting my mom recently & sitting in a reclining chair, when I pushed the lever to put it back -her cat started crying- I had "squished" her under the chair somehow! I did not even know the cat was there. So, you just need to be careful wink
[notify]

Bumpurr

RESPECT The- Star!

Purred: Thu Aug 20, '09 3:20pm PST 
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=1+2137&aid=2923

http:// www.peteducation.com/category.cfm?c=1+2137

Hope these help, and hope you will join us on here, when you do get your cat.

big grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinwavewavewavewavewavewavebig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grin
[notify]

BooBoo

headed for the- light.

Purred: Fri Aug 21, '09 1:54am PST 
You should be careful; I've heard that quite a few kitties are killed by recliners. When I get ready to lay back or go back to the normal position, I do look, and if I can't see both cats I go very slowly, so if one was inside the couch it could move-- I had to train myself to do this even though neither one of my cats cares to get under there, because you never know which day they might suddenly try it.
[notify]

Juno

Purred: Fri Aug 21, '09 7:33am PST 
i agree, a recliner can be okay but i would make sure the kitties aren't in it before you recline! I have a recliner and the cats lay in it, but none of them go under it. So who knows, maybe your cats'll leave it alone. too
[notify]

George-Ernie- -Minou-Black- y(out)

the fearful four

Purred: Wed Jul 31, '13 4:54am PST 
It's not difficult to block off the bottom edges of your recliner in a way that will keep your cat out from under it. You'll need sturdy fabric, a stapler, scissors, about 18" of 2-inch wide elastic (from the notions section of a fabric store) and some very basic upholstering skills. It takes about 20 minutes to do it. I used 2 pillowcases doubled over lengthwise--one for the front of the chair and one for the back.

Staple the fabric *loosely* to the inside edge of the wooden base, and to the wooden frame of the chair (front & back). Leave enough slack to allow the chair to rock. Be sure to staple tightly at the corners of the chair, too, so your cat can't slip in around the edges.

The wide elastic needs to go across the inside of the 2 openings that allow the mechanism to extend the footrest---again, stapled to the wooden frame loosely enough to allow the scissor mechanism to extend and retract.

If you do the stapling carefully on the inside of the frame, the fabric won't be visible when the chair is in the down position, although you will see it when the footrest is extended.
[notify]